Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2017 Lariat super crew install questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2017 Lariat super crew install questions

Need some answers and I figure someone here knows. I have the 8" non-Sony stereo system with center channel. I would like to replace the door speakers, A pillar tweeters and the center channel coaxial with better quality parts. I would also like to add a couple of small footprint amps ( JL or Alpine powerpacks). My questions are:

Does the factory head unit low pass the signal to the door speakers? If so, at what frequency?

Does the factory head unit high pass to the A pillar tweets?

What is is the largest coaxial I can fit in the center speaker location without major mods?

Will the start stop technology make the amps pop every time it cycles?

I'm actually pleased with the factory processing when the head unit is set to driver mode and I feel like it does a pretty good job with getting a decent soundstage. I'm not looking to add a subwoofer because I think I can get enough bass for my preferences with a really good set of 6by9 component woofers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by reednatron
Need some answers and I figure someone here knows. I have the 8" non-Sony stereo system with center channel. I would like to replace the door speakers, A pillar tweeters and the center channel coaxial with better quality parts. I would also like to add a couple of small footprint amps ( JL or Alpine powerpacks). My questions are:

Does the factory head unit low pass the signal to the door speakers? If so, at what frequency? NO. Full range

Does the factory head unit high pass to the A pillar tweets? NO. They are hooked up to the door speakers with an inline CAP

What is is the largest coaxial I can fit in the center speaker location without major mods? Disconnect it

Will the start stop technology make the amps pop every time it cycles? I don't think so. Others have added amps so you should find the real answer with a search on the forum

I'm actually pleased with the factory processing when the head unit is set to driver mode and I feel like it does a pretty good job with getting a decent soundstage. I'm not looking to add a subwoofer because I think I can get enough bass for my preferences with a really good set of 6by9 component woofers. Add a decent 2 way 6x9 in the doors. You may still want to add a sub

Thanks in advance!
See answers in bold
Old 07-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Wyo is dead on, as usual.

While the "driver" eq mode makes a big difference with the stock speakers (actually raises the soundstage) I think you will find much less pleasing results when you change the speakers out. The stock stuff is really garbage, and needs all that eq to make it to even "okay."

I tried the settings with my install (JL amp btw) and it was nasty. Wound up using Forscan to defeat the eq (as much as you can) and left the rest of the correction to a Bit10.

I agree with Wyo - a small sub does wonders, even if all you do is use the "driver" mode
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the sony radio, can I just change the speakers out?
I wanna install some infinity kappa series speakers. or will it sound crappy?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
I have the sony radio, can I just change the speakers out?
I wanna install some infinity kappa series speakers. or will it sound crappy?
You can change them. Just remember that the Sony amp crosses over the tweeters
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by reednatron

Does the factory head unit low pass the signal to the door speakers? If so, at what frequency?

Does the factory head unit high pass to the A pillar tweets?

What is is the largest coaxial I can fit in the center speaker location without major mods?

Will the start stop technology make the amps pop every time it cycles?

I'm actually pleased with the factory processing when the head unit is set to driver mode and I feel like it does a pretty good job with getting a decent soundstage. I'm not looking to add a subwoofer because I think I can get enough bass for my preferences with a really good set of 6by9 component woofers.

Thanks in advance!
I just replaced the center channel speaker with a JL Audio C2-350x and have a second one. I will put it on the classifieds soon, but feel free to PM me. I just finished my install this weekend, I posted some pictures in another post "Replace fronts or rears" in the stereo/audio forum here.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

any update?