Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2-way active build

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Default 2-way active build

Over the Christmas break I installed Morel Tempo Ultras in the front - woofer in door, tweeter on A-pillar and driving them through stock non-sony Sync 3. I also have an Image Dynamics IDQ10 in a custom enclosure under back seat being driven by a cheap amp. My intent from the beginning was to go active for the front stage. Here is what I am considering and would appreciate any suggestions:

Speaker Level front channel into a Dayton 408 DSP - using FOR11 harness.
NVX 900.5 or Pioneer 9605 Amp (both 5 channel) - four channels to drive front Morel woofers and tweeters, sub channel to drive the IDQ10.
Leave back speakers stock and driven off of stock headunit for fill.
I have already sound deadened front doors and will do rear doors, floor and back wall of truck.
I was planning to drive the sub channel in the amp from the DSP using the front channel signal and not use the headunit sub connection so I can better control crossover.
I would not mind driving the rear speakers from another amp but not sure it is worth the cost and install work to do so.
Was considering mounting DSP in dash somewhere and amp under front seat .

Any suggestions or recommendations on this design?

Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

You are on the right track! Front L R are the correct source channels for the 408. The rears aren't worth spending the money on an additional amp. You selected some great equipment! It's gonna sound awesome!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
You are on the right track! Front L R are the correct source channels for the 408. The rears aren't worth spending the money on an additional amp. You selected some great equipment! It's gonna sound awesome!
Thank you dhmcfadin - you guided me to the Morels earlier and that was a good call.

Anyone have thoughts on the NVX vs the Pioneer amp? Both about the same price, both highly rated and both over deliver on dyno tests.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Papermaker24

Received 347 Likes on 272 Posts

"Over the Christmas break I installed Morel Tempo Ultras in the front - woofer in door, tweeter on A-pillar and driving them through stock non-sony Sync 3."

Is there much improvement over stock with these not amped? I have these sitting on the floor now awaiting install......
Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I can attest to the Pioneer, I'm using it in my setup. I'm using it for JL C2 components up front and driving the stock rears, plus my Infinity 12" shallow mount at 2 Ohms off the sub channel. I'm very impressed with the amp, especially for the price.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by papermaker
"Over the Christmas break I installed Morel Tempo Ultras in the front - woofer in door, tweeter on A-pillar and driving them through stock non-sony Sync 3."

Is there much improvement over stock with these not amped? I have these sitting on the floor now awaiting install......
Papermaker - in all honesty there is some improvement but I would not expect to be blown away. I also sound deadened the doors which in my experience makes a big difference as well. I thought I would try without an amp and what it has pointed out is that Ford has done as much as they can to get the most out of the stock speakers through equalization. The Morel tweeter is clearly an improvement and the midbass is much tighter. I am far from an audiophile but I can hear where the EQ is off and where certain frequency bands dip and peak. I have not tried different forscan settings. The morel woofers do seem like they need more power that what the stock system can deliver. I would say do it but you will find yourself looking for an amp shortly after. The other issue is the stock system does not seem like it cuts off bass to the door speakers with a subwoofer installed so the Morels will and do play 40hz along with my subwoofer. Again perhaps a forscan setting would fix this but I will fix it with my DSP.
EDIT - Papermaker see this thread post 167. This describes my experience with the EQ - I will likely play with the Forscan setting this weekend while I wait for my hardware to arrive.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/so-yo...13994/index17/

Last edited by shellshocked; 01-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by joemomma
I can attest to the Pioneer, I'm using it in my setup. I'm using it for JL C2 components up front and driving the stock rears, plus my Infinity 12" shallow mount at 2 Ohms off the sub channel. I'm very impressed with the amp, especially for the price.
Joemomma - excellent that is the type of feedback I am looking for. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

looks good, but as i've posted numerous times the rear fill is a waste of time. when you go to a concert, how many speakers are mounted at the back of the hall? i would suggest you setup your front stage and sub, listen to it for a few weeks, tweak the tuning as needed, then connect your rear speakers and see if it sounds better to you. i'm going to best it doesn't, especially considering the fact you are using a DSP with time alignment up front but nothing on the rear speakers.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:39 PM

Nineball - So this is what is driving some of my decision on the build. I agree that the rears are likely not going to do much but if I run speaker level from the headunit into the DSP - I can let the rears run off the headunit and control with the fader to see if the rears help. My assumption is the sound quality and noise level differences between speaker and line level into the DSP are not noticeable. If there is a difference then I will go line level from the start and not even bother with the rears.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by shellshocked
Nineball - So this is what is driving some of my decision on the build. I agree that the rears are likely not going to do much but if I run speaker level from the headunit into the DSP - I can let the rears run off the headunit and control with the fader to see if the rears help. My assumption is the sound quality and noise level differences between speaker and line level into the DSP are not noticeable. If there is a difference then I will go line level from the start and not even bother with the rears.
Speaker level will be fine.
The following users liked this post:
shellshocked (01-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 2-way active build