Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

‘18 SCrew XL STX: no 12v for stock sub install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘18 SCrew XL STX: no 12v for stock sub install

Tried to install a stock sub. It did not come with a manual, but it came with the stock wiring connector and mounting hardware. Activated forscan codes for sub on aux1 and six-speaker with kicker. I plugged the sub connector into the molex in the back left corner of the cab, but am not getting any voltage on the fat black and red wires in the bundle. The other three wires are remote and signal pos/neg and are very small, so it’s not a case of mistaken wires. I checked the main fuse box and the “audio amplifier” 20a fuse in slot 22 is not present, nor are there any clips in slot 22 to accept a fuse. Is the required wiring not present on an XL—STX with Sync3/CD/Sirius? I’ve had two dealers say it ahould install. Those if you with a stock sub, do you have a fuse on slot 22? Also, has anybody else done this with a STX?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Longitude
Tried to install a stock sub. It did not come with a manual, but it came with the stock wiring connector and mounting hardware. Activated forscan codes for sub on aux1 and six-speaker with kicker. I plugged the sub connector into the molex in the back left corner of the cab, but am not getting any voltage on the fat black and red wires in the bundle. The other three wires are remote and signal pos/neg and are very small, so it’s not a case of mistaken wires. I checked the main fuse box and the “audio amplifier” 20a fuse in slot 22 is not present, nor are there any clips in slot 22 to accept a fuse. Is the required wiring not present on an XL—STX with Sync3/CD/Sirius? I’ve had two dealers say it ahould install. Those if you with a stock sub, do you have a fuse on slot 22? Also, has anybody else done this with a STX?
The stock Sony sub? Stock kicker sub? Which one? Does the enclosure have the oem amp mounted to it?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Stock kicker with amp mounted on molded box. Literally a ford part number.

Last edited by Longitude; 12-18-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Sept ‘18 built STX also with no fuse in F22. Seems like it’s hit or miss if the fuse, or even the connector in the c-pillar, will be there on any trim level if you do not order it from the factory with the kicker sub. I also did not get Sirus and therefor cannot get signal out on the grn/wt & vt/gn wires. I do get a 6 volt turn-on with the key on but my amp does not like it. So the connector is there but it’s essentially useless.

If you have Sirus radio, you should be able to get everything needed except power if that fuse is missing. Just run a dedicated power wire for the amp. May as well run a big one, you’re gonna upgrade someday anyways...

Last edited by heytonyman; 12-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

the rear plug behind the back seat if this is what you are referring to is disabled for the XL.. you have to tap into the front or rear door speakers .. also the power is not 12v .. i tried to use the remote turn on lead and it was 5v

edit: and when i say disabled.. nothing you do in forscan will let the harness work

Last edited by doug97gxe; 12-21-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Result

Hey everybody, thanks for the help! I ended up installing a Rockville RW10CA. If I’m going to run my own power, I might as well save $450 over OEM and have a sub with adjustable low pass/gain/bass boost curve. And, for half the price of a Kicker Hideaway, I think this delivers a much better value. I also tried to fit the Dual TBX10A, as it was on special at Walmart for $50, but it’s too thick when the seats fold up and the seatback moves toward the back wall.
Install: Buy a 20-ft power wire. Run the wire over the motor, between the firewall and the panel in front of it. The passenger side of the firewall panel can be loosened enough to get the wire fed through. Drill through the existing huge rubber grommet on the left side of the firewall, from the driver footwell. It is dual-layer. Be sure to give the existing wire bundle plenty of space. It would suck to hit that with a drill bit.
The wiring diagram attached to this thread is correct. As soon as you enable external speaker or external subwoofer in Forscan, you will get 6v turn-on signal. This works for the RW10CA, no 12v relay required. I chose external speaker to get a full-range signal with less DSP interference. I did not change the speaker config to 6+kicker, as i want the bass in the speakers, because I’m using speaker signal to feed my sub. I chopped a single RCA video cable in half, then stripped it. I pulled all the woven shielding to one side and twisted it together. I attached this to the low signal negaitve (green). I stripped the core of the wire to reveal the solid copper core. I connected that to the purple, then plugged the RCA into one of the inputs. Works nicely. I ended up cutting the harness because my WPT1212 didn’t show up in the mail before I leave town.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
the rear plug behind the back seat if this is what you are referring to is disabled for the XL.. you have to tap into the front or rear door speakers .. also the power is not 12v .. i tried to use the remote turn on lead and it was 5v

edit: and when i say disabled.. nothing you do in forscan will let the harness work
re: molex in back left pillar: it all worked for me except 12v power. I got 6v turn on and low level, full range output (Forscan set to aux speaker (not sub) and did not change speaker config to +Kicker). However, if you have the base radio (I have Sync) you may not get all this.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

That’s exactly how I had hoped to wire my STX until I found out that if you do not have Sirus the low level out will not work at that connector, ever. The pins physically aren’t in the back of the ACM. Tho it was easy enough to steal a full range signal from the LF tweeter.

Glad to hear you got it going.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

re: molex in back left pillar: it all worked for me except 12v power. I got 6v turn on and low level, full range output (Forscan set to aux speaker (not sub) and did not change speaker config to +Kicker). However, if you have the base radio (I have Sync) you may not get all this.
Originally Posted by heytonyman
That’s exactly how I had hoped to wire my STX until I found out that if you do not have Sirus the low level out will not work at that connector, ever. The pins physically aren’t in the back of the ACM. Tho it was easy enough to steal a full range signal from the LF tweeter.

Glad to hear you got it going.
ahhh its Sirus that does it.. I still have my WPT1212 in my truck.. i never removed it after i couldn't get the audio signal to work

Quick Reply: ‘18 SCrew XL STX: no 12v for stock sub install