Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

16 SCREW speaker swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 SCREW speaker swap

To make a long story short I bought some Kickers to replace all of the factory door and dash speakers and I hate them. I dont want to change the factory head unit as of now. What are you guys running? I have the 7 speakers with 8" screen. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Kicker is not the brand to go to for improved sound quality. The problem isn't your headunit, its the junk speakers. Whats your budget? What kind of music do you listen to?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

First of all, just like any other speaker manufacturer Kicker makes a good speaker KS680 and a cheap walmart speaker ds680
The KS models are pretty good. Other consideration is the infinity kappa
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Well, it could be an issue with not sending those speakers a clean flattened signal. Did you use any line output converter or forescan yet? If not, you might be in for a nice surprise.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Well, it could be an issue with not sending those speakers a clean flattened signal. Did you use any line output converter or forescan yet? If not, you might be in for a nice surprise.
I haven’t used either. I know what both are but I’m not sure how either will impact. Can you give me a 30sec rundown?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon404
I haven’t used either. I know what both are but I’m not sure how either will impact. Can you give me a 30sec rundown?
The factory headunit has a built in eq that automatically curbs certain high and low frequency signals that are capable of damaging the delicate factory speakers/tweeters. By using forscan or something like an AudioControl or JL fix processor, you can eliminate that factory eq. The reason you want to eliminate it is your aftermarket speakers can handle those extra low and extra high frequencies unlike the factory speakers. By not eliminating the factory eq, you aren't allowing your speakers to play at their full potential. The forscan method is preferred over the aftermarket correction method because instead of altering the signal coming out the headunit, forscan allows the headunit to output an already unaltered signal.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 PM

For what its worth I have found replacing the head unit and keeping the stock speakers gives the best sound vs replacing the speakers and keeping the stock head unit. I have found this true many times (and I think you are experiencing this also). The factory speakers held up for me even playing music loud with lots of bass & treble.

I want to stay with the stock head unit also so I'm stuck with the way it sounds which isn't bad. Replacing the speakers (only) has not proven to be worth the time or expense...sound wise for me.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by 12fLAT
For what its worth I have found replacing the head unit and keeping the stock speakers gives the best sound vs replacing the speakers and keeping the stock head unit. I have found this true many times (and I think you are experiencing this also). The factory speakers held up for me even playing music loud with lots of bass & treble.

I want to stay with the stock head unit also so I'm stuck with the way it sounds which isn't bad. Replacing the speakers (only) has not proven to be worth the time or expense...sound wise for me.
See my post above. Using forscan will fix the poor sound you are experiencing.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

A forescan ODB tool costs only $30 too. Much cheaper route than getting a new head unit. I'd love to sell more product but honestly, forescan is the way to go.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

The following users liked this post:
supercanadian (08-25-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

Are you getting enough power to the aftermarket speakers? I'm running JL Audio CW3 components front and back with a JL Audio 400 paired with a LC7i. Subs are dual 10" RF HX2's and a monster old school Eclipse Amp. Stock head unit and the sound is amazing.

Quick Reply: 16 SCREW speaker swap