Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yellow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Yellow!

Hello everyone, new to the site. My name is self explanatory, if you can see my username. Basically on here to solve issues for my rust bucket. Would love to fix her up nice... Just don't have the funds. So any suggestions help.

My current major problem, which needs quick assessment:

1999 Ford F150, 4.6L, 4x4. Won't start. Turns over fine, getting fuel fine, but fuel pump shuts off after about 1 second. Not the plugs, plug wires, fuses, gasoline, fuel filter, relay... Can't figure it out.

Replaced the fuel pump, does the same thing. Runs for a second and shuts off. Rumor has it through the forums, that there is a handy dandy "fuel pump shut-off switch", and another nifty unit called the PCM... Powertrain control module. Any idea if one of these could be my issue? If it is the reset, which I've been told it's activated by inertia (such as in an accident), them why would it allow the pump to run, even for a second? And I understand the PCM is connected to the fuel pump relay, but how, exactly? I bypassed the relay and let the pump run for a few seconds, still no run...? Does it need that relay to be connected to complete some sort of circuit, and that's why bypassing isn't starting the beast either?

Any suggestions are welcome. I've been in a garage since I was 15-16 years old. Dad and Grampie were both mechanics... So I may be able to help you, too... I'm just completely puzzled about this one!

Please check out my "Garage" and my post about this issue... https://www.f150forum.com/f6/1999-f-...roblem-121001/

Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times everyone. Gotta pick up my baby boy all week... Wife works late... Need this thing fixed now! Checking the reset and PCM fuse tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome!

Quick Reply: Yellow!