Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F-150 elec fuel pump problem

Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 F-150 elec fuel pump problem

Hi all, new user with a question about a fuel pump problem I'm having... Occasionally the pump will not come on with the key as I prepare to start car. The motor will turn over but not start. This has happened many times and I have dropped the tank a couple of time to check the pump and by so doing it the pump will work fine for months when I put it all back together but I'm not sure I'm on the right track. As I sit here this morning drinking my first cup of coffee and waiting for the gas tank to drain (I curse the engineer who thought saving the 50 cents by NOT putting in a drain plug was a good idea) and having to put a small plastic tube down the vent tub to drain the tank. Anyway, I'm thinking there must be a pressure switch somewhere to tell the pump to turn on or off. So before I dump a couple hundred dollars into a new pump anyone know where the pressure switch is located, what kind of voltage should I see and or have any suggestions as to where to go next. thanks Walt
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM

bump and some further insights to issue;

Bought new pump ($175) and tried it by attaching to truck fuel pump connectors and turning on the key but got nothing. Put old pump back on the connector and it worked? So put the new one on again and this time it worked. So now I'm thinking it's got to be something else that is wrong. Connector seems clean and seems to make good contact. I've been told that there are other parts to the circuit that come into play on start-up and for running the truck. The PCM relay will energizes the pump for a second or two when the key is turned to ignition and they again when some other component shows the engine turning to provide fuel to the running truck. If it was the PCM relay I would think I would also have trouble when driving the truck with it stalling?? Just happens at start up when I turn on the ignition and don't hear the pump prime the fuel lines.

So any thoughts, suggestions, or direction of what to do next would be greatly appreciated before I waste another 175 bucks on something I really didn't need to replace.

thanks

Walt
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 AM

bump, bump...

I did stumble across this schematic (see attachment) but I'm sill not sure where most of this stuff is located. Think the PCM is on the passengers side but what, where is the other stuff like the fuel module or EEG .
Attached Thumbnails 1999 F-150 elec fuel pump problem-ford-f-150-1999-fuel-pump-schematics.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Mo' parts, Mo' problems.

The PCM is on the passenger side, right above the kick panel, and right behind that kick panel if the fuel pump reset switch.. Next time it doesnt start, try to see if that switch was tripped. I wanna say it gets tripped off inertia (like in a crash), but just a thought!. Not sure if that helps you any, but thats where those two are located! Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My truck has the exact same problem. It only seems to not work in cold weather though. Doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm, I've had this issue after I've just turned the truck off and tried to restart.

Let me know what you find out. I haven't bought a new fuel pump yet because I think it may be something else. You have to cycle the key multiple times until you hear the fuel pump prime before trying to start. I didn't have this issue at all during the spring or summer and it has started back up again with this cold weather
The following users liked this post:
LEM Ford (01-03-2014)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Sandstone_F150

I am having the same issue with my 2001 S-Crew. I am hoping to replace the fuel pump over the long holiday weekend so I will let you know if that solves it... but if you are able to solve it please reply.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks all, Wet rainy weather here in the northeast so I'm not about to crawl around the truck till it gets a litter nicer outside. Give me a chance to get more info before I go crazy trying to find the problem.

Best I can tell now is it is the PCM module or the relay. Strange that the truck only has a problem on startup and not while driving even though the same circuit controls both. Only thing I can think of is that it is a ground problem. Could the PCM get it's ground from two points? One from the module when it it activated by the key and later when it'c circuit is completed by the run ignition.

I might have to bite the bullet and go (shudder) to a Ford dealer and have them look at it.

thanks again

Walt

P.S. if anyone reading this has any additional thoughts please don't hesitate to put in your two cents.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Sandstone_F150

Didn't get a chance to replace the fuel pump over the weekend. I ordered a fuel pump off Rock Auto so I am waiting for that to come in. I am also going to replace the fuel filter. On my truck when I do get it to run you can hear the fuel pump buzzing really loud like it is either going out or working really hard to pump fuel. Normally when the truck was running you could not hear it. Right now I have just over a half tank so it is not because it is low on fuel.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Hi All, been cleaning contacts and testing wires, relays anything I can find that might be causing the problem. I returned the new fuel pump cause the old one is working just fine. Every time I turn the key to the ignition on position I can hear the pump working for the second or two need to prime the system. I can start truck and let it run without any issues. Just hate to not have a clear idea what I did or what might still be wrong. Don't want to drop the gas tank to many more times if it does act up and stops working again. Each time I drop the tank the pump seems to fix itself. And yes I have checked that connection at the pump a couple times and can't see that it is the cause of the problems.

Anyway, I'll keep ya' posted if anything changes one way or another.

thanks

Walt
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Default 1999 Northeast Ford F150 4.6L

Hi Walt,
Just wondering if you had any updates? Did you solve the mysterious fuel pump issue? I am encounter a similar issue with my truck right now.

Mine is a 1999 F150 4.6L, 4x4, and yes, mine is in the Northeast too. Yesterday I parked my truck and hopped in my coworkers truck for work in the morning. The truck started fine as usual, but when I returned, she would crank, but no start. I ended up finding two blown fuses, and replaced them to no avail. Figured it might be the fuel pump or relay. Checked for gas, and it was getting plenty... When the key is turned the fuel pump starts, but doesn't seem to run as long as it should. Maybe pumps for a second, but not enough to fire her up. The spark plugs and wires were replaced about one year ago, so it's doubtful that is the issue. I replaced the fuel pump, and same thing. Turns on for a second and shuts off again. We bypassed on the fuel pump relay, and let the fuel pump run a few seconds, still no start...

I have some questions about this PCM and fuel pump reset that you and others have mentioned. But first the relay... Is it possible that there is a second relay somewhere along the line? I know on Chevrolets (shudder), the timer is built into the fuel pump relay, but on my Ford, I don't think it is... Might this PCM module be the answer to my problems? If it was some sort of fuel pump reset, then how would it run even for the one second it does?

It's not the fuel pump, relay on the box, fuses, plugs, plug wires, filter, or any other things I can think of. Doubtful it's the regulator... I don't think a regulator has ever malfunctioned on any vehicle ever (as far as I know)...

Just basically wondering if you solved your issue, so maybe your issues could solve mine?

Other comments are very much welcome too...
And hurry up before I junk it and buy a Chevy. Hahaha... (Completely kidding right there)... Shudder shudder... Help!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 F-150 elec fuel pump problem