Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rocky&grace

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocky&grace

I just joined yesterday! Sure enjoy reading the boards.

Even though Im 48, I bought my first ever pu two weeks ago: 93 F150 XL reg cab w/matching camper shell. 4.9, all white, all stock, 114000 miles, 1 local owner B4 me. $3,900. Great carfax history, no accidents, great condition in & out. Runs great, real clean. I love the truck, I'm like a little kid in a candy shop. Always wanted a truck, now I get to play w/the new toy. Learning a lot, and I have a lot to learn. Wont be using it to tow or haul much. Mostly just honydos, yard & house hauling type stuff. This will be my daily driver to work truck. I'll post a couple pics prob next wknd.

I've done just a couple of little things: got lower door panels w/the pockets from wrecking yard for a buck each, cleaned & installed yesterday, perfect match on int color. Traded out the dome light for the xlt version w/the map lights on each side of the unit. Carpet will be next. I also like the factory 15" alloys that come w/xlt better, so I'll be looking for a used set of those.

Here's my question: ping? I get a mild to medium ping b4 each shift (4EOD). More pronounced when its cold. After research, this seems to be somewhat common. But it really kinda bugs me, and I want to completely kill the worry that it may cause damage over time. Don't wanna burn valves or rings. I'm told it might be the knock sensor, egr, &/or carbon build up top end. I'm also told cant be knock sensor cuz check engine light doesn't come on/isn't on. Anyone had experience with this, or better: anyone been able to fix this?

Thanks guys. Sure looking forward to my new journey w/the new member of the family.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board!
Any relation to Rocky&Bullwinkle?

Cannot help with the pinging problem, I am not sure what would cause that
myself. There are others here with more mechanical know-how that will be
able to help.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:13 PM

no relation, though I do eat a lot of nuts & store em my cheeks! Is your 96 same basic body style as the 93?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rocky&grace
no relation, though I do eat a lot of nuts & store em my cheeks! Is your 96 same basic body style as the 93?
Yes, I believe the 92 thru 96 are the same basic style.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the boards. Sorry I can't help with your pinging issue, but there are lots of smarter folks on here than I and I'm sure someone will help you out.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Driver carries no money.

Welcome to the show!!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!

As to your pinging, it could be several things. Does the 'check engine' light work (self-test at start-up), and has it come on? You might consider having the computer codes pulled to see if there's anything that may yield a clue.

Are the ignition components in good shape? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc.

Perhaps try a tank of mid-grade or premium fuel to see if the pinging stops or changes - if so, perhaps consider running a combustion chamber cleaner product through, or in some cases, changing brands of fuel will help.

Does the ignition timing advance with RPMs? If the SPOUT connector is not seated firmly, it will not allow the ignition timing to advance, but I would think the problems would be more severe than what you describe if this were the case.

An EGR system operational fault will typically throw a code - 'check engine' light will come on. However, I don't think your generation truck has a gas flow measurement - so it may be worth inspecting for any blockages in the EGR valve or exhaust gas tubing. IIRC, the EGR system is not enabled when the engine is cold - where you describe the pinging to be worse.

Haven't yet heard of a knock sensor failing - if they do, suggest it's rare.

You've got a solid truck with a good reputation. The 300 I6 is well-respected for its durability, reliability, and low-end torque.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Jon

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 PM

thanks for the input. check engine light is functioning. comes on w/key on, motor off. Goes off as soon as motor fires. Mechanic tells me if this is the case no codes are stored. I did try a full tank of highest octane - 92 i think - and no change. I appreciate your input that KS failures are rare, so I'll rule that out for now. havent checked plugs, wires, cap, egr; so that'll be this weekends project. I'll also try top cleaner next. Any product preferences? Seems like P60 might be pretty good from what I've read.

Quick Reply: rocky&grace