Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting Ready To Come Back To Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting Ready To Come Back To Ford

I've always had Fords, trucks, Broncos, cars (3 Lincolns), etc. When my '97 HD 7.3 started falling apart (truck not engine) I sold it to a friend and bought a new 2013 Tacoma which has been a great trouble free truck. The Tacoma has become too small and although I hate to give it up I need a bigger truck. I looked at the Tundras but when my friend brought his 2019 F150 to our hunting camp work party a few weeks ago I was transfixed. I decided to look at new F150s, I can't believe all the 5' beds! I was disappointed I couldn't get a SCRW in 8' but I can get along with 6.5' like I have been. Anyway, after calling a few dealerships looking for a low mileage newer truck all I got was "this is close to what you want", relentless phone calls and a full email box (like picking up a bad case of the clap!) so I guess I'm ordering a new one. Here's the plan...
2019 XLT, 4X4, SCRW, 6.5 bed, Oxford white, 5.0, 3.55 rear locker, trailer tow package, trailer brake controller HD payload package, telescoping tow mirrors, 302A package, spray in liner, box link, sliding rear window tailgate step (not 100% sure on that, is it worth it?), skid plates. Still considering wheel well liners. Comes in at 51,870 MSRP, I did one at home that came in at just under $54,000 so there must be some other choices made on that one
I'll have to recheck. Anyway, how far off from these prices would be considered a good or great deal? I hate the negotiations involved! It's what makes going to a dealer a last resort.

Last edited by Swampcreek; 04-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Welcome to the forum, great to have you join.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Swampcreek
... 3.55 rear locker, trailer tow package, trailer brake controller HD payload package, telescoping tow mirrors, 302A package, spray in liner, box link, sliding rear window tailgate step (not 100% sure on that, is it worth it?), skid plates.
Hi, Are you sure that you can get a 3.55 diff AND HD payload package ? I wonder if HDPP comes only with a 3.73

Tailgate step: I have it and it is now a must

5.0 engine: I have it on my 2016, love it. However, just so you know the 5.0 design changed in 2018 by adding direct injectors alongside existing port injectors, plasma sprayed liners instead of cast iron ones, stop/start technology, plastic oil pan, peak torque occurs now at higher RPMs...Well it's just not the same. These changes brought new experiences as well, so if I were you, without telling to not take a 5.0, I would make some research on pro's and con's on this new 5.0.

Happy camping !
Old 04-04-2019, 01:43 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F-150 forum! Glad to have you join us.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nicklaus
Hi, Are you sure that you can get a 3.55 diff AND HD payload package ? I wonder if HDPP comes only with a 3.73

Tailgate step: I have it and it is now a must

5.0 engine: I have it on my 2016, love it. However, just so you know the 5.0 design changed in 2018 by adding direct injectors alongside existing port injectors, plasma sprayed liners instead of cast iron ones, stop/start technology, plastic oil pan, peak torque occurs now at higher RPMs...Well it's just not the same. These changes brought new experiences as well, so if I were you, without telling to not take a 5.0, I would make some research on pro's and con's on this new 5.0.

Happy camping !
...and this is why I join forums BEFORE I buy a product!! Thanks for the valuable information!!! I guess I'll consider the EcoBoost again. Oh well, back to the drawing board!
I simply want a truck that'll do work, tow, get ok mileage and be dependable. I think I have lots of reading and question asking to do. THANKS AGAIN!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Nicklaus, THANK YOU!!!! I didn't realize they molested the good old 302! I've had quite a few of them in different vehicles including 2 marine versions in my old cabin cruiser! I read up on it and this changes things! I guess if I proceed I'll be looking at the EcoBoost and max tow. I sure would have hated to find all that out AFTER I bought it! Back to the drawing board. THIS IS WHY I JOIN FORUMS BEFORE I BUY A PRODUCT!!!
Thanks everyone else for the welcoming!
The following users liked this post:
Nicklaus (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swampcreek
I've always had Fords, trucks, Broncos, cars (3 Lincolns), etc. When my '97 HD 7.3 started falling apart (truck not engine) I sold it to a friend and bought a new 2013 Tacoma which has been a great trouble free truck. The Tacoma has become too small and although I hate to give it up I need a bigger truck. I looked at the Tundras but when my friend brought his 2019 F150 to our hunting camp work party a few weeks ago I was transfixed. I decided to look at new F150s, I can't believe all the 5' beds! I was disappointed I couldn't get a SCRW in 8' but I can get along with 6.5' like I have been. Anyway, after calling a few dealerships looking for a low mileage newer truck all I got was "this is close to what you want", relentless phone calls and a full email box (like picking up a bad case of the clap!) so I guess I'm ordering a new one. Here's the plan...
2019 XLT, 4X4, SCRW, 6.5 bed, Oxford white, 5.0, 3.55 rear locker, trailer tow package, trailer brake controller HD payload package, telescoping tow mirrors, 302A package, spray in liner, box link, sliding rear window tailgate step (not 100% sure on that, is it worth it?), skid plates. Still considering wheel well liners. Comes in at 51,870 MSRP, I did one at home that came in at just under $54,000 so there must be some other choices made on that one
I'll have to recheck. Anyway, how far off from these prices would be considered a good or great deal? I hate the negotiations involved! It's what makes going to a dealer a last resort.

I love my truck. with that said.... stay away from Ford for the time being. You can read my personal experience in my "My Story" post in the Late Model 2009-2014 category. Long story short here is what Ford has going on:

1) Plastic oil pans that leak and crack. Who in the hell would make a plastic oil pan?
2) F27 fuse that burns up which can lead to either fire, crashing or if you're lucky and the car is off it just won't start.
3) Fuel pump module failure (this was recalled on a number of Ford vehicles in recent years but they excluded the F150). I had mine fail and I am 99% sure it is the same module they recalled in their Explorers.
4) Purge valve failure. you know this is happening when you fill your gas tank up and the truck doesn't want to start or won't start. Easy fix and not expensive but between my parents and I we have owned over 10 Ford vehicles in the last 40 years with most being F150 or F250 trucks and have never replaced a purge valve on any until my 2013 F150 came along.
5) Floating fuel cap pin. Another stupid design and not a major problem but I'd expect Ford to do better if I'm shelling out at least $40,000 for a truck. Over time the plastic pin on the fuel cover assembly will float out of place thus causing the door to become loose and wobbly and open while driving.
6) Maintenance intervals that nobody can explain. Your Ford manual will say one thing. Then when you run your vin number on Ford's website it will say something else. Then you'll ask the tech at the dealership and they won't know what to do. then you'll come to this forum and everyone is confused and there's no real answer. Can someone just tell me when or if I need to change my transmission fluid?????

As you can see. that's a quick list. Couple that with Ford's **** poor customer service and I'd steer clear. I absolutely love my truck. LOVE it. But I do not love Ford anymore. Next truck is going to be a Dodge or Chevy unless some major improvements are made.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JakeEllis43
I love my truck. with that said.... stay away from Ford for the time being. You can read my personal experience in my "My Story" post in the Late Model 2009-2014 category. Long story short here is what Ford has going on:

1) Plastic oil pans that leak and crack. Who in the hell would make a plastic oil pan?
2) F27 fuse that burns up which can lead to either fire, crashing or if you're lucky and the car is off it just won't start.
3) Fuel pump module failure (this was recalled on a number of Ford vehicles in recent years but they excluded the F150). I had mine fail and I am 99% sure it is the same module they recalled in their Explorers.
4) Purge valve failure. you know this is happening when you fill your gas tank up and the truck doesn't want to start or won't start. Easy fix and not expensive but between my parents and I we have owned over 10 Ford vehicles in the last 40 years with most being F150 or F250 trucks and have never replaced a purge valve on any until my 2013 F150 came along.
5) Floating fuel cap pin. Another stupid design and not a major problem but I'd expect Ford to do better if I'm shelling out at least $40,000 for a truck. Over time the plastic pin on the fuel cover assembly will float out of place thus causing the door to become loose and wobbly and open while driving.
6) Maintenance intervals that nobody can explain. Your Ford manual will say one thing. Then when you run your vin number on Ford's website it will say something else. Then you'll ask the tech at the dealership and they won't know what to do. then you'll come to this forum and everyone is confused and there's no real answer. Can someone just tell me when or if I need to change my transmission fluid?????

As you can see. that's a quick list. Couple that with Ford's **** poor customer service and I'd steer clear. I absolutely love my truck. LOVE it. But I do not love Ford anymore. Next truck is going to be a Dodge or Chevy unless some major improvements are made.
Oh yeah, forgot one more thing..... the current recall on 6-speed automatic transmission that will downshift your truck into first gear out of nowhere while on the highway causing you to crash and die (maybe a little dramatic but it's really not dramatic at the same time).
Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 AM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

^ Irrelevant. OP is looking to buy a 19.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pigman67
^ Irrelevant. OP is looking to buy a 19.
not irrelevant. Why would anyone want to buy a vehicle from a line that has these known problems over the last couple years? It’s my two cents. Take it or leave it. As they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Quick Reply: Getting Ready To Come Back To Ford