Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Converted Chevy in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Converted Chevy in Texas

Howdy, Y'all!

I'm a geologist in Texas, and I currently drive a Chevy Silverado... I know what you're thinking, "why would anyone willingly do that to themselves?" I agree. I've gotten 200k miles out of it, but it's time to come back to Ford. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I am looking all over Texas for the right truck. After playing with build configurations on Ford.com I figured that an XLT the way I want it would be about $10k outside my price range, so I started looking for used. I found quite a few Lariats with the features I wanted within in my price range and with low-ish miles. After talking with a dealer about one, he mentioned that with Truck Month going on, I could probably get into a new XLT, with most of the options that I want, for about the same price as the Lariats that I was looking at.

Now the conundrum. Do I purchase new, take the initial depreciation hit, but get a full 3/36k warranty, and miss out on a couple of features that I didn't even know existed on a truck until a couple of weeks ago, or do I get a little more luxury, for a little bit less, but also get less warranty. I work on the other side of the state from where I live, and sometimes, I go out of state for work. So creature comforts play a big role in my decision making. I'd love to hear y'all's opinions on the matter. Used Lariat over New XLT, or New XLT over Used Lariat, and your reasoning behind why you would go that way. I'm trying to find something before the sale ends, otherwise, it's all academic. Please share your thoughts on the matter, I appreciate any feedback y'all can give!

AstroCat
Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Welcome to the forum, good luck on your search for a truck.
The following users liked this post:
AstroCat (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texian.
I have always bought new Ford trucks, but with my current one I bought demo unit that my local dealer use as a loaner vehicle. It had 3.5K on it and I was able to get it for about 3 grand less compared to a completely new one just like it. Good luck on your hunt for a truck.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 AM

stvbrtls, thanks for the reply! You made a great point, and I actually found a truck that is a demo with around the same amount of miles. I'm going to look into that one more, thanks for the input! How have you liked your truck since you got it? Any regrets, or are you still happy that you went with getting the discount on a truck that had only a few thousand miles on it? I bought my first car like that, and the only problem I ever had with it was an AC line that I had to replace, after 3 years driving the car. Thanks again for your input!

AstroCat
Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum !
The one thing I would consider is the amount of miles you will be driving.....
How many miles in the 3yr.-36 month warranty on the new truck VS how many will be on the Lariat after 3 yrs...
And see if they will offer an extended warranty on the lariat that will cover it as long as the new truck.
Good luck on your search, be sure to post up some pics when you find it.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Set your search criteria on Used <20k miles. That way you get a new rig someone else took the parking lot depreciation hit on already.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 AM

Phil48315, oh yes. Pics will be posted! I will probably eat up the 36k mile warranty on a new XLT fairly quickly. I'll be putting at the very least 15k on it per year. Just because I drive all the way across Texas for work on a regular basis. With all that driving, I figure the Lariat might offer a little more comfort over the XLT, but a test drive around the block isn't the same as 4 straight hours in the truck.

Can anyone give me an idea of the comfort level on long drives between the Lariat and the XLT?

Lutter5-0, yessir, great minds think alike!

Thanks again for your insights! I really do appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,709 Posts

3/36 - bumper to bumper.
5/60 - drive-train.
5/60 - roadside assistance..........................something to consider..
AstroCat (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

I just picked up a Demo unit with under 1k miles from a dealer as well, and got it at 11K under MSRP, and over 3K under the dealers invoice price.

There are some real good deals out there, just keep your eyes peeled.

As far as depreciation goes, you can add "waiver of depreciation" to your insurance to keep the trucks value at MSRP for 2 - 3 years or so in the event of an accident in the first years of ownership.

Some Demo's won't qualify if there are too many miles on the OD, so just double check with your insurance company.

Good Luck!
AstroCat (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 AM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

If you do decide to go with gently used, don't forget about aftermarket warranties.

I bought one on my truck that covers bumper to bumper up to 100K. It wasn't exactly cheap, but has paid for itself already.

Check into warranties with your financing bank or C.U.
AstroCat (03-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Converted Chevy in Texas