Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

weird oily film on truck after washing - help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy weird oily film on truck after washing - help!

I washed my truck today and as the water was evaporating I noticed an oily film over it. If I used my microfiber towel to dry it, it made it seem even worse. The truck is dry now, but some areas (the hood especially) look noticeably different (hazy). here are some pics:

any ideas what could cause this or what to do about it? I washed it a second time with a lot of soapy suds, hoping it would break it up, but it didn't. I shouldn't use strong soap (like dish soap), right? maybe I should just drive through a touchless wash? although I'm always afraid those things will hurt my truck.

thanks for any ideas...

Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, you can fit 33's!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You can use dawn soap, it won't hurt anything. Just be sure to put a coat of wax on afterwards, as the dawn will take any wax off.
The following users liked this post:
jt_04 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthernSteel
You can use dawn soap, it won't hurt anything. Just be sure to put a coat of wax on afterwards, as the dawn will take any wax off.
thanks, that's good to know. i'll have to give it a try, I haven't come across any other ideas. now to figure out which wax to use when I rewax it...
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSteel
^^ The best advice you will get^^

I recommend Meguiars Gold class carnauba plus in paste form. Works great and available most anywhere.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the first and only time that this has happened? Your pic's remind me of when I oil gaurded my Ranger and washed it right after - it took me 2-3 washes to get rid of any excess oil.

Quick Reply: weird oily film on truck after washing - help!