Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

rookie questions on plastic parts care

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default rookie questions on plastic parts care

I know there is a lot of passion about how to care for your trucks and I'm not looking to start a "what's best" war here - just wanted to clear the air on that. I have read a lot of threads on different products to clean/preserve the plastic bits on my F150 but at this point I'm a little overwhelmed. I love my truck and I want to take care of it but I'm not someone who will spend my weekend with a toothbrush & Q-Tips detailing.

So here's what I'm hoping you folks can help me with - for the plastic bits like the fender trim, vent intake in front of the windscreen etc. - what works well without costing a fortune? I have used the basics like Armoral and Son of a Gun (blasphemy here I'm sure) and it really doesn't seem to last more than a week or so. I'll pay more to get something that lasts but the products I see at $25 for 12oz or so should last at least a month or so in my opinion. Is that the case?

I assume that the rubberized trim around the windows may need something different - if so, what is the product? I know that every time I wipe them down, the rag comes away black.

The last thing I want to find a product for is the "B" pillars. These seem to be some sort of in between material and nothing I try seems to bring back the new look or really last anytime at all.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. It only "looks" expensive but you only need a drop to do the B pillars and most of the window trim. A drop or two will do an entire bed rail cover.

I use it maybe 3 times a year on my F150 but it's a weekend truck, so your mileage may vary.

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...g+trim&x=0&y=0
The following users liked this post:
larry2c (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have had excellent results with both "looks" and longevity with Carpro Dlux.

Do you have a pic of the B pillars?
The following users liked this post:
larry2c (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the response guys. So you would use the product you recommended on all the different plastic/rubber bits (I assume the trim around the windows is some sort of rubber the way it feels)?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Carpro DLux Wheel and Trim coating is not a dressing type product.
See Details: https://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-s...-30ml-sky-kit/
Although easy...application is not as consumer friendly as a dressing.
Video Review: