Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

How to clean chrome steps

Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean chrome steps

Guys. What's the best way to clean chrome steps. Mine have gotten dashed after this salty winter in Michigan. I have some pitting but mostly this white cruddy haze. Any good process or product? I feel a buffer will be hard to avoid the black plastic.

2010 f150 lariat
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

My friend recommended mothers chrome polish to me. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You can try using APC and a brush. Give them a good coat of Quick Sealant for protection.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mothers is good stuff. I did mine after i cleaned with a APC then used the mothers with the power cone. The chrome looked good after and is a little easier to keep clean.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any of the stuff by Mother's is pretty good. Maguiar's leaves a bit of a haze I find. Just make sure to wash the steps before you start polishing or you'll just be pushing dirt around.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

Take masking tape and cover up the black strips. What I usually do is overlap the tape about an 1/8" or so, then use a small piece of thin plastic, like the edge of an old credit card, and push the overlapped tape down into the crevise along the sides of the strips. It's a bit tedias, but it works. Then you can do the job and not worry about cleaning them afterwards. As for the chrome, Nevr-Dull is excellent. If the pits are bad they likely will not come completely out. Sometimes I'll put just a bit of Bug-and-Tar remover onto the wad and it helps. The Nevr-Dull is suppose to shine up and protect, but I give it a coat Turtle wax Ice. I like it on chrome, black trim, etc., but hate it on paint. Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running board clean-up

Having same problem with cleaning running boards used white diamond and blue something. The truck sparkles running boards will not clean up also small pits of rust this is the first winter with this truck help
Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

i used never dull before plasti dipping mine...had rust spots/winter grime all over them... the plastic step comes off easy with a pair of needle nose, gently squeeze the clip on the backside and pull up to release one by one...
Attached Thumbnails How to clean chrome steps-dip.jpg   How to clean chrome steps-running-boards-2-.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean chrome steps