Tapatalk - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Default Tapatalk

Are there any plans to add the forum to tapatalk ?
The Following User Says Thank You to TXFRDOwner For This Useful Post:
mouse2146 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Fleet Technician

Thanked 4,339 Times in 3,413 Posts

This forum was once on Tapatalk but discontinued use. Why I have no idea.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
This forum was once on Tapatalk but discontinued use. Why I have no idea.
Intriguing, ... Any of the Moderators wanna chime in ?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Official HTT Greeter

I can't speak for this site or it's admin. But another forum that I'm on dropped TT due to security issues. And the lack of being able to do anything about it. TT was storing personal data on dozens of different servers all over Eastern Asia. And once installed on a device, TT would access darn near everything and left behind little temp files cluttering memory. I don't know or understand all the details. But he said it was just so much trouble to keep the site operational for TT, that he just couldn't justify it.

When I got my new phone last year, I decided not to install Tapatalk at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to SixShooter14 For This Useful Post:
IB Jose (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
I can't speak for this site or it's admin. But another forum that I'm on dropped TT due to security issues. And the lack of being able to do anything about it. TT was storing personal data on dozens of different servers all over Eastern Asia. And once installed on a device, TT would access darn near everything and left behind little temp files cluttering memory. I don't know or understand all the details. But he said it was just so much trouble to keep the site operational for TT, that he just couldn't justify it.

thats good info, thx for sharing

this site itís used to have its own app tho, I wonder what happened to that
Old 02-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by TXFRDOwner View Post

thats good info, thx for sharing

this site itís used to have its own app tho, I wonder what happened to that
That the "garagetalk" or something like that? I had it for a bit, but it seemed to be more of a PITA than just going to the website using a mobile browser.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Fleet Technician

Thanked 4,339 Times in 3,413 Posts

Yeah I think it was garage talk. And as mentioned more problematic than useful. I remember them saying they were then concentrating on making the site more mobile browser friendly because of the two previous failures.

Me I can't stand any of them so I always tick the box for "Use desktop version" when surfing on my phone. Otherwise it's pc all the way.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
Yeah I think it was garage talk. And as mentioned more problematic than useful. I remember them saying they were then concentrating on making the site more mobile browser friendly because of the two previous failures.

Me I can't stand any of them so I always tick the box for "Use desktop version" when surfing on my phone. Otherwise it's pc all the way.
I agree, aside from useful for posting pics and getting notifications, I don't really miss TT all that much.

and I don't think I've come across a single website that was better on the mobile version than the PC version.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post

This is largely correct for us as well. TT was also going to start funneling users in a weird way where they would be taking user data and information without our consent, so we dropped them pretty quickly (which is unfortunate, since it was a good mobile product).

We are discouraging new users to get onto Garage Talk as we just don't have the level of control over it (despite being an in-house app), but the mobile website is something we constantly work to improve. The next phase we're working on is for push-notifications so it can behave like an app.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by IB Jose View Post
This is largely correct for us as well. TT was also going to start funneling users in a weird way where they would be taking user data and information without our consent, so we dropped them pretty quickly (which is unfortunate, since it was a good mobile product).

We are discouraging new users to get onto Garage Talk as we just don't have the level of control over it (despite being an in-house app), but the mobile website is something we constantly work to improve. The next phase we're working on is for push-notifications so it can behave like an app.
Thanks, It is indeed unfortunate. I was fairly active on a dozen forums on TT and was able to keep it all organized and easy to use. But the security issues were enough for me to not install on my new phone. I'm now down to only 2 or 3 forums, the rest I just said goodbye to and left.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tapatalk

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: