Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

Pasting text into posts taking multiple attempts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 319 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Pasting text into posts taking multiple attempts

Is it just me or has anyone else realized lately that pasting text into a post is taking multiple attempts? I typically answer posts and personal messages with cluster questions with canned responses I have saved in a notepad document and used to simply copy and paste but in the last several weeks pasting the text doesn't work on the first attempt; I have to go back to my document and copy the text to the Windows clipboard again and then the paste into a post/pm here then works on the 2nd attempt. I can paste the same text into an email on the first attempt so it seems to be something here with the forum?

Anyways, just wondering if it's just me or anyone else seen this? BTW, it does the same thing in Chrome or Edge browsers for me.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Livnitup you're not alone w/ this issue. I've had the same issue trying to post also. Like you same issue whether Firefox or Chrome.

BTW: Thanks for your continued efforts to crack the "secret codes" so we can all enjoy the features in our trucks
The following users liked this post:
Livnitup (08-19-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

If you’re using the mobile template, why not use the multi-quote feature? If you want to reply to one long post in multiple segments, You can take a 3 page post and separate it into multiple pieces and respond to segments relatively easily or you can take 5 peoples posts and reply to each one within your one post.

Example:

Lenn: Here’s my post text. You’re wanting to reply.
(Here’s what the quoted text looks like when you select it.)
[ quote: Lenn]Heres my post text. You’re wanting to reply. [ /quote]

Now to separate it-
[ quote: Lenn ]Heres my post text. [ / quote ]
You: Ok, cool!
[ quote ] You’re wanting to reply. [ / quote ]
You: Yes! Yes I am!

All you have to do is take the quoted text and break it up using the [ quote ] tag to begin a new segment and the [ / quote ] tag where ever you want the end the segment.

**** REMOVE ALL SPACES I LEFT. I put those in there so the software doesn’t think I’m trying to create a line code and you can see how it Looks.

Heres the execution.

Originally Posted by Clusters by Livnitup
Is it just me or has anyone else realized lately that pasting text into a post is taking multiple attempts? I typically answer posts and personal messages with cluster questions with canned responses I have saved in a notepad document and used to simply copy and paste but in the last several weeks pasting the text doesn't work on the first attempt; I have to go back to my document and copy the text to the Windows clipboard again and then the paste into a post/pm here then works on the 2nd attempt. I can paste the same text into an email on the first attempt so it seems to be something here with the forum?
I haven’t noticed this yet.

Anyways, just wondering if it's just me or anyone else seen this? BTW, it does the same thing in Chrome or Edge browsers for me.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Heres Multi-quote:
Originally Posted by Clusters by Livnitup

I hope this information helps.

Originally Posted by Delta1166
Livnitup you're not alone w/ this issue. I've had the same issue trying to post also. Like you same issue whether Firefox or Chrome.

BTW: Thanks for your continued efforts to crack the "secret codes" so we can all enjoy the features in our trucks
He does great work!

Last edited by Lenn; 08-20-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM
The FORScan Guy

Received 4,909 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
If you’re using the mobile template, why not use the multi-quote feature? If you want to reply to one long post in multiple segments, You can take a 3 page post and separate it into multiple pieces and respond to segments relatively easily or you can take 5 peoples posts and reply to each one within your one post.

Lenn, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to do. Try this:
1. open up a notepad document in Windows and type some text
2. copy that text and try to paste it into a personal message here
3. it doesn't paste on the first attempt; you have to go back to the notepad document and copy the text again and then on the 2nd attempt it will paste into a pm here on the forum.

It used to work fine but I'm wondering if some forum software update broke it? I keep a notepad document open in Windows where I can easily paste common replies to questions people ask be about clusters like: pricing, does it void my warranty, etc. via personal messages

Last edited by Livnitup; 08-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Gotcha. I tried it this morning and yes, it seems to be hanging up using the right mouse click. If I use CTRL+ V it works the first time, every time.

I’ll check and see if something went wonky on the last update.
The following users liked this post:
Livnitup (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
The FORScan Guy

Received 4,909 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
Gotcha. I tried it this morning and yes, it seems to be hanging up using the right mouse click. If I use CTRL+ V it works the first time, every time.

I’ll check and see if something went wonky on the last update.

Hmmm, even if I don't use the mouse and only use keyboard Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V on the text it doesn't paste in the pm until the second attempt but once the 2nd attempt is reached I can copy/paste different text from the same notepad document on the first attempt in that same pm. If I then respond to a different personal message the process begins again with failing on the first attempt.

Edit: also doesn't matter if I'm in Quick Reply or Advanced Reply screen for the pm

Last edited by Livnitup; 08-20-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Pasting text into posts taking multiple attempts