Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-pipe, h-pipe, or y-pipe... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default x-pipe, h-pipe, or y-pipe... HELP

Mornin All!

going this weekend to get my new exhaust put on the truck, 2006 FX4 5.4L 3V, and ive been leaning towards a y-pipe but would like some opinions

from what i have found i wont really gain any performance going from a Y-pipe to an X or H pipe, just sound really

is there any truth to this? whichever route i go will be catless with a magnaflow or flowmaster straight through muffler

next up on the list after this is shorty headers

any input is appreciated
TIA
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 89 Posts

Hello Sir,
If you can do a true duel exhaust with an x-pipe, you will make some power. Over the years on the dyno the x-pipe vs h-pipe battle has gone to the x-pipe. They just make the power.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RDP Store
Hello Sir,
If you can do a true duel exhaust with an x-pipe, you will make some power. Over the years on the dyno the x-pipe vs h-pipe battle has gone to the x-pipe. They just make the power.
How much more power in comparison to any-pipe?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

No exhaust configuration is going to give you power without getting the engine tuned. The engine is computer-controlled. Simply changing its exhaust path won't do much other than alter the sound.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

On my Mustang 4.6L, I went with the H-pipe. It sounds way better. All the other guys in our group with the same cars run X-pipes. They sound "raspy" to me, and more "crackly" and I don't like it. So I went with the H-pipe to maintain that classic mellow low rumble.

On the dyno, my car put down more HP and torque than any other car in our group with X-pipes and similar mods. So that's a bonus.

I know we're talking trucks here, but I thought I'd mention that just as a point of reference.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_Sleeper
How much more power in comparison to any-pipe?
Its all relative to the tune and the mods done to the car/truck kind sir
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
No exhaust configuration is going to give you power without getting the engine tuned. The engine is computer-controlled. Simply changing its exhaust path won't do much other than alter the sound.
motor work is coming, im doing pieces at a time. motor is being pulled this summer for a fully built forged bottom end and getting prepped for a twin screw.

but i have been told you get more power this way or that way or the motor will breathe better with this one or that one.

im trying to get opinions on what will be best long term.

i was thinking of doing the y-pipe for now and when all is said and done and motor is finished swapping over to X or H pipe
Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

The people telling you this probably don't know much about modern engines. You can ask or search around here to find the same thing. Modern exhausts already flow well, including catalytic converters, or you can put on a high-flow cat on if you want, but nothing will give you power without tuning the engine (and obviously you'll need the tune with that TT you plan on installing). My point is - all these self-proclaimed "gurus" you run into who say put on a new intake or exhaust and suddenly you have power are only following the old day logic where engines were all carbureted and not strictly regulated by computer-controlled fuel injectors and butterfly valves. In an engine with EFI, the computer has to have a performance tune for any of it to matter.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM

The people telling you this probably don't know much about modern engines. You can ask or search around here to find the same thing. Modern exhausts already flow well, including catalytic converters, or you can put on a high-flow cat on if you want, but nothing will give you power without tuning the engine (and obviously you'll need the tune with that TT you plan on installing). My point is - all these self-proclaimed "gurus" you run into who say put on a new intake or exhaust and suddenly you have power are only following the old day logic where engines were all carbureted and not strictly regulated by computer-controlled fuel injectors and butterfly valves. In an engine with EFI, the computer has to have a performance tune for any of it to matter.
Exactly. im learning these modular motors as i go still as im more of an old school pushrod motor guy, grew up working on both EFI and Carb in the garage.

but the motor just has a plain Edge Evo tuner, Volant CAI, Dual E-fans, and a 170* thermostat as of now. next i wanted new mid pipe and muffler and then i will be doing shorty headers.

but i think im going to go with the y-pipe for now till i am pushing more power and get the motor tuned and will need the additional air flow
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I have to disagree here.

You do not ned a tune to get better performance from a better flowing exhaust.

The difference is between running a marathon breathing in through your nose and then out through a straw.

I will agree that most modern exhaust flows much better than in the past but there is room for improvement.

Just to clarify, an x or H pipe is not intended to flow better. The purpose of the x or H is for the scavenging effect it has. Essentially the passing pulse of the exhaust from one cylinder creates a pull or vacuum effect at the X or H pipe which helps to "pull" the exhaust from the other side.

As noted already the X pipe has shown time and again to beat the H for obvious flow reasons. You are just creating a better system for flow just like going to mandrel bent pipes.

For a stock motor, likely not worth the time and effort but if your plans are to SC this motor then by all means, X pipe it now and reap the benefits later. Not that an SC needs scavenging but the X will give you an overall better flow for all that air being moved

Also, if you are going this far do not go with shorty headers, it is a waste of your time and money. Go all the way with long tubes. I would talk with your SC provider for recommendations on long tube makers as well as specs.