Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Question/NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Tint Question/NEED ADVICE!

The truck is a black 2013 FX4 supercrew with the short box and the FX Appearance Package. I got the front windows tinted at a local shop and like the look a lot. He used the Suntek brand carbon tint and I went with 35% for the front and left the back and rear stock.

Here's where I need some advice from those who know a lot about tinting. While I love the look, I can't help but want the fronts to be a bit darker. Unlike MANY others, I actually am one that likes the look of the fronts being a bit lighter than the back (I know many like to match, unlike me), while still being tinted, obviously. Now, I am planning on staying with Suntek, as I have had no issues, and it seems a few of the shops I'm considering also use this brand. On the websites of the shops, they have a 25% version of the same tint I currently have. Will the 25% Suntek match the factory back and rear windows?? If so, I will probably stick with what I have. However, if some in the know can tell me that, by going with the 25%, I will achieve precisely what I'm looking for, then I may go ahead with it. Again, if the 25% will be just a bit noticeably lighter than the factory rear tint, I'll do it right away. FYI, there are also 18 and 5% tints as well, just in case some posters may come up with some other ways for me to achieve what I'm looking for. Much thanks all!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pctcone
The truck is a black 2013 FX4 supercrew with the short box and the FX Appearance Package. I got the front windows tinted at a local shop and like the look a lot. He used the Suntek brand carbon tint and I went with 35% for the front and left the back and rear stock.

Here's where I need some advice from those who know a lot about tinting. While I love the look, I can't help but want the fronts to be a bit darker. Unlike MANY others, I actually am one that likes the look of the fronts being a bit lighter than the back (I know many like to match, unlike me), while still being tinted, obviously. Now, I am planning on staying with Suntek, as I have had no issues, and it seems a few of the shops I'm considering also use this brand. On the websites of the shops, they have a 25% version of the same tint I currently have. Will the 25% Suntek match the factory back and rear windows?? If so, I will probably stick with what I have. However, if some in the know can tell me that, by going with the 25%, I will achieve precisely what I'm looking for, then I may go ahead with it. Again, if the 25% will be just a bit noticeably lighter than the factory rear tint, I'll do it right away. FYI, there are also 18 and 5% tints as well, just in case some posters may come up with some other ways for me to achieve what I'm looking for. Much thanks all!

First, check with your local law enforcement on what is allowed.

You will be surprised.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 AM

Well, no tint is allowed here on the fronts, so I'm taking a risk...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Texas Aggie

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

25% should be lighter, as 20% is usually what is needed to "match" and even then I think it's a touch lighter for some folks. 35% certainly shouldn't give you any trouble, and 25% is still not too dark. So cops shouldn't bother you about it unless they're just out to get somebody.

3M is generally the best though, for what that's worth.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
25% should be lighter, as 20% is usually what is needed to "match" and even then I think it's a touch lighter for some folks. 35% certainly shouldn't give you any trouble, and 25% is still not too dark. So cops shouldn't bother you about it unless they're just out to get somebody.

3M is generally the best though, for what that's worth.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm just worried that the 25% will be darker than my factory rear tint, but I think I'm getting paranoid. It's just that my factory rears don't really look that dark... I'm thinking I'm just gonna do it, and I hope the 25% will be just a touch darker than my 35%, but still lighter than the factory rear tint... Still need some more convincing from the community tho lol
Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 AM
THUNDER UP!

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

It's going to come down to what brand of tint the factory put on and what percent. Each brand is going to be a little different. Once you figure that out, it will be easier to know what will work and what won't.

Another option is have the tint shop use a tint meter to determine the % and go from there to determine what your best route is. It's too difficult for us to tell you what percent to go while being 100% certain it will be just a little bit lighter than the factory rear windows like you want.

Also, since you want the fronts a "bit lighter" than the back windows; a bit lighter to one person may not be a bit lighter to the next person. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taking a risk is sometimes worth it!

Originally Posted by pctcone
Well, no tint is allowed here on the fronts, so I'm taking a risk...

Risk? Why not if you want to tint! BTW it does look good afterwards.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I had 25% on my fronts.
You could see the rears were still slightly darker.
After the ticket, I changed the fronts to 35% and like it better.
The 25% didn't allow for good visibility at night.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

If it's completely illegal to have any tint on the front, you're probably going to be hassled by the law for anything darker than what you have now. Here in IL we have a 30% front maximum rule. When I did my F350 I went 5% on everything including the front windows. I could hardly see out the back window at night! lol But damn it looked good! Thankfully, I was never hassled for it either. Here's a pic:

Name:  88148a82-e527-4561-b7d1-09e90681b5a2_zps82d9a704.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  89.4 KB
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Here in Jersey, it's illegal to tint any driver side passenger side front widows. Everyone does it, it is a secondary offense. If they pull you over for ANYTHNG, then they will ticket you for your windows. I've seen plenty of out of state plates here at the shore on vacation with tinted windows get fines. It's a money making venture for the local townships. Bit like I said, it's a secondary offense. Just don't get pull over or even get a parking ticket and your fine.
Years past I've been ticketed and even had to peel of the tinted film before.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question/NEED ADVICE!