General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I regret going from XLT to XL

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 08:19 AM

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Will I regret going from XLT to XL

My warranty is up and I've had some electrical problems with my 2020 XLT (Supercrew, 3.5 Eco). I've looked at a bunch of trucks. I think I'm still wanting an F150. We all know prices have sky rocketed.

It looks like I can still get into an XL 4X4 with a 2.7 Ecoboost for a "decent" price, while the XLTs have gone up at least 10K from sticker in 2020 (without the huge discounts I got in 2020 off MSRP). . I'm not too worried about going down to the 2.7 since I don't tow.

What am I giving up with the XL? I've tried to review the packages, but I'm not exactly sure. I definitely want the modern basics like cruise control, power locks and windows and ability to sync my phone. I can do without stuff like heated seats and other tech stuff.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:50 AM

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from an XLT to an XL/STX. The XLT had the heated seats and the technology package. Hardly used any of it. The STX came with all I need. Lumbar support, 8 inch screen, power windows, power mirrors, heated rear window. Very happy with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Janpijpelink:
Mark Miller (09-19-2023), ruffhunter (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:10 AM

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

Are you a tall person? The XL doesnt have as much seat adjustment, so its stuck at the height Ford put it, which I consider too high. You only have fwd/back, reline, and lumbar. I am 5' 10" and prefer a lower seating position. In my '22 XLT, mine is dropped down to the bottom and the front of the seat is bumped up slightly to support my legs/knees. I sat in an XL and couldnt get comfortable, but YMMV.

Last edited by AHenry014; 09-21-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts

I dont know if they even make manual windows and locks anymore, and I think it is federally required to have hands free connectivity in vehicles now (not 100% sure, but I dont know of a single vehicle sold in the US that does not have it).

I was looking at an XL reg cab, and it had everything you are looking for. Have you considered an STX if you can find one? Plenty of options, quite a bit less than an XLT
The following 2 users liked this post by bigred90gt:
Mark Miller (09-19-2023), Shann (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:36 AM

I'm also 5'10". Long torso short legs. I didn't even know I had height adjustment on my truck! I'd have to sit in an XL for sure.

My BIL has an STX and I thought it was mainly an appearance package?
Old 09-19-2023, 09:37 AM
I lay my crown b4 HIM

Received 158 Likes on 70 Posts

Really depends on what you use and appreciate in your XLT. I went down to an XLT from a Lariat when I bought my last truck because I thought the jump in price back then was too high. I regretted that decision for most of my ownership. Only when I got involved in forums again and started retrofitting features from higher trims into my truck did I start to lose the feeling of dissatisfaction with it.

The following users liked this post:
Shann (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:40 AM

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I went from my 19 F250 Lariat sport to a 23 F150 XL and love it! The seat height is a nice adjustment that I miss a little bit but I really don t miss much of anything else. Also, if you like doing a little wrenching you can always add the certain options that you have to have. (I always thought I would never go back to a base truck but its not as bad as I imagined. haha)
Shann (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by KingBeef
Really depends on what you use and appreciate in your XLT. I went down to an XLT from a Lariat when I bought my last truck because I thought the jump in price back then was too high. I regretted that decision for most of my ownership. Only when I got involved in forums again and started retrofitting features from higher trims into my truck did I start to lose the feeling of dissatisfaction with it.
If you don't mind me asking, what specifically do you regret? It's kind of hard to me to think of what I might miss until its gone. I know a lot of people like leather, and I do too. But i have Mastiffs, so I always have used seat covers to protect the interior.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:25 AM
I lay my crown b4 HIM

Received 158 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Shann
If you don't mind me asking, what specifically do you regret? It's kind of hard to me to think of what I might miss until its gone. I know a lot of people like leather, and I do too. But i have Mastiffs, so I always have used seat covers to protect the interior.
At the time, I did not think losing these would make a real difference to me:

Moonroof
Premium sound system (Night and day diff to me)
Center Console with shifter
Leather interior
Better sound deadening/insulation
General appearance of the interior
4x4 (not Lariat specific but gave it up too)
6.5' bed (also not Lariat specific)
Factory fender flares (technically available on Sports)
Factory 20" wheels

Shann (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 11:36 AM

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Shann
My BIL has an STX and I thought it was mainly an appearance package?
I have an 18 STX. They do have 20" wheels that you don't get on a standard XL or XLT (I actually like the wheels on the STX), and it has a different grille and body colored bumpers. The interior has the flow through console but with a column shift, which doesn't matter to me. I do like having the console shift to rest my hand on, but I drove a ram for 5.5 years with the **** shifter, so I haven't had that option for a while. It also has the larger touchscreen with Apple Carplay, which is not available in the base model XL or XLT (until 2023 I think when that became standard). The base 6 speaker stereo is trash. My wife has a lower/mid level Murano with the base stereo and it is light years better as far as sound quality.

The only option I wish it had was the rear sliding window. While I only opened that a handful of times in my ram, it was nice to have the option on a cool day.

The biggest problem I have with Ford trucks is they need to take a page out of GM and put decent headlights in all trim levels. The halogen lights on F150s are abysmal, and you cant get the LED until you get into $60k+ price tag, unless that changed with the 23 or 24.
The following 3 users liked this post by bigred90gt:
KingBeef (09-19-2023), Mark Miller (09-19-2023), Shann (09-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Will I regret going from XLT to XL