Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the lack of premium trims for RCSB trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why the lack of premium trims for RCSB trucks?

Seriously. I currently own a Dodge, and the main thing preventing me from coming to Ford is the lack of a Lariat, KR, or Limited trim on an RCSB. {{Actually, it's me being a poor MF, and then the whole "fix or repair daily" stuff that goes around that I can't seem to find an evidence to prove or disprove, then the trim package stuff.}}

I want a nicely kitted sport/daily truck, and I LOVE what I've read and seen of the 5.0, but I can't understand this decision and how to get around it...
Old 05-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I would say it's because most single cab trucks are used for work, which is also why they come with an 8 foot bed and very rarely a 6 foot bed. Most fleet vehicles are single cab 8 footers. Of course not all single cabs are for work, but that is the main buyer group of them, which is why higher trims aren't available. They won't sell as many Lariat single cabs as they will ext. or crew cabs.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

ram doesnt have a laramie rcsb, gm doesnt have an ltz rcsb. i dont see how that would prevent you from coming over to ford, when nobody else offers it either. ford tried it back in the mid 90s with the eddie bauer trucks and nobody bought them.

recall
all
motor vehicles

drips
oil
drops
grease
everywhere

can
hear
every
valve
rattle
oil
leaks
every
time
The following users liked this post:
Spectragod (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 04:09 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
ram doesnt have a laramie rcsb, gm doesnt have an ltz rcsb. i dont see how that would prevent you from coming over to ford, when nobody else offers it either. ford tried it back in the mid 90s with the eddie bauer trucks and nobody bought them.
That was my thought on trim levels across the brands. Makes it hard to believe the OP is serious with having that knowledge.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:18 PM

recall
all
motor vehicles

drips
oil
drops
grease
everywhere

can
hear
every
valve
rattle
oil
leaks
every
time
Yeah but Chevy and Dodge still have SOME premium trims available. All I really care for, though, is bigger wheels, color matched everything[no plastic or chrome crap] and leather/upgraded interior. Maybe a sunroof, but just like with car audio, there's the aftermarket for that.

Either way, Ram as the Sport, and the R/T, and Chevy has the Rally or some such and the night edition or whatever[don't really keep up on it as I don't care as much for the Chevs]

I really only need something for myself, and maybe an SO in the future. Unlikely to cart friends around, but if I ever do, it'd be nice if they could be normal sized and fit acceptably. I prefer a 2 door look to a 4 door and just generally want a top reliability, 12-14 second quarter mile, high 3 to mid 4 second 0-60, and decent fuel efficiency[like 17 city/25 highway], at least when I'm being nice. And above all that, I want to be able to easily get in/out of it [kinda like a lowered truck] and easily clear speed bumps and steep drives even if lowered for appearance.

I really freaking wish there was a generalist car forum where I could ask for vehicular recommendations like this... :/
Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
That was my thought on trim levels across the brands. Makes it hard to believe the OP is serious with having that knowledge.
As stated, Chevy and Dodge offer better trims on the RCSB than Ford. XL is base, and XLT is barely above base. XLT is like, lower than a Ram Express to my knowledge, and RCSB Rams come in Sport and R/T trims, too, which are much nicer. Dunno about the Silvies, but I'm sure they come at least a step above an XLT as I saw a really nice factory 'murdered' truck on a Chev lot once with 20" wheels and LED lights+projectors.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:27 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I am well aware. I have an XL and added carpet, 10 way power adjust driver seat, Katzkins, heated side mirrors with signals and auto dim, remote start, keypad door entry and the truck came with the 8" screen with SYNC3. All of those could be added to a RCSB XL. My point? With the Forscan thread and other tutorials, you can add just about anything to a XL or XLT and have a premium trim level truck. Several members like Firerunner, Boostedgreygoose, UNBROKEN and Go-on3 have transformed their none Platinum trucks with Platinum only options.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunken Hamster
Yeah but Chevy and Dodge still have SOME premium trims available. All I really care for, though, is bigger wheels, color matched everything[no plastic or chrome crap] and leather/upgraded interior. Maybe a sunroof, but just like with car audio, there's the aftermarket for that.

I really freaking wish there was a generalist car forum where I could ask for vehicular recommendations like this... :/
well buy a ram then or customize an f150 to get it how you want it. you can swap out the painted pieces from a sport scab or screw. none of the single cab rams or chevys offer leather from the factory from what i can see, so katzkins are going to be mandatory either way. and wheels are obviously an easy swap.

there are generalist forums, just have to look for them.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM

well buy a ram then or customize an f150 to get it how you want it. you can swap out the painted pieces from a sport scab or screw. none of the single cab rams or chevys offer leather from the factory from what i can see, so katzkins are going to be mandatory either way. and wheels are obviously an easy swap.

there are generalist forums, just have to look for them.
I did. Guess I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks for the answers, guys.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Ford had the Tremor and didnt want to go high volume with it, which saves them money but sucks for the consumer and probably helped drive those would-be customers over to Ram, so I think Ford probably lost out by that decision anyway. High trim Dodge RCSBs are more readily available to the public compared to fords offerings and that was where Ford went wrong imo, they should have done the FX package on 2011+ RCSB 5.0s, priced cheaper than the Tremors, with a higher volume than the Tremors. They would have sold every last one of them.

Last edited by hinglemccringleberry; 05-20-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Why the lack of premium trims for RCSB trucks?