General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 05:51 PM

Received 10,130 Likes on 6,545 Posts

Default ? on wheel spacers

Thinking of maybe sticking some 1/4" wheel spacers on my truck with aftermarket wheels. Yes, I know I have 6X135 bolt pattern. I'm curious as to how these spacers are fitted to the truck, in other words, what keeps them centered on the studs? Never used spacers before, so really never paid much attention to them.
Tried the Bora website, but it doesn't appear they have 1/4" spacers.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:48 AM
Mark

Received 2,431 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Why not get the off set you are looking for with the new wheels.. i doubt you will see a 1/4" unless you have a clearance issue, then I would want more than a 1/4" at least a half inch.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Why not get the off set you are looking for with the new wheels.. i doubt you will see a 1/4" unless you have a clearance issue, then I would want more than a 1/4" at least a half inch.
I like the wheels I have, they are +20, and the only other offset for them is a zero offset.

artsr2002 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 08:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I run 1/2" spacers on my front wheels to slightly widen the stance after leveling the truck. They are just an aluminum ring with lug holes drilled precisely where they need to be. I'm using the original lugs, they are just effectively 1/2" shorter. I don't do much towing at all and I've been running them over a year with zero issues.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by acdcbean
I run 1/2" spacers on my front wheels to slightly widen the stance after leveling the truck. They are just an aluminum ring with lug holes drilled precisely where they need to be. I'm using the original lugs, they are just effectively 1/2" shorter. I don't do much towing at all and I've been running them over a year with zero issues.
What brand are you using? After doing a bit more research, I think I'm looking for hub centric ones, with an 87mm bore. The 1/4" ones I've run across say nothing about being hub centric, leaving me to believe that they are reliant on exact hole spacing, which sounds like those are what you have.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:57 AM

These appear to check all the boxes, comments?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/381512036630
acdcbean (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 935 Likes on 707 Posts

If you’re just getting a quarter inch spacer then I’m not sure it really matters if they’re perfectly centered. It’s not like the wheels are hub centric.

My only concern with a spacer like that is the Lugnuts not grabbing enough threads on the lug. You gotta make sure you are getting enough otherwise you need to swap longer studs.

also, I don’t know if this is true on the 13th gens, but on my 12th GEN, the front wheels naturally stick out farther than the rears due to the shape of the body. I have about 1/2 inch of “poke” in the front, and none in the rear.

Last edited by mass-hole; 03-20-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

The brand I'm running are Titan Wheel Accessories. They were $50 on Amazon.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM

Received 643 Likes on 336 Posts

I prefer hub centric spacers just for the slightly better fitment on the hub itself. Usually the holes for the lugs are oversized so if it’s not hub centric it can sit a little wonky which isn’t a big deal but messes with my OCD. Also like mass said ensure you have enough thread engagement for the lug nuts. I can’t remember how much leeway the F-150 has but having at least 7-8 of not more turns of the lug nut is preferable.

From this picture I have, looks like the hub has maybe 1/2” of hub centering surface, so even with a 1/4” spacer there should be a little left for the wheel to contact.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
If you’re just getting a quarter inch spacer then I’m not sure it really matters if they’re perfectly centered. It’s not like the wheels are hub centric.

My only concern with a spacer like that is the Lugnuts not grabbing enough threads on the lug. You gotta make sure you are getting enough otherwise you need to swap longer studs.

also, I don’t know if this is true on the 13th gens, but on my 12th GEN, the front wheels, naturally stick out farther than the rears due to the shape of the body. I have about 1/2 inch of “poke” in the front, and not in the rear.
That's true on the 13th gen as well. I have a 3" level with Alumas on there, so my front track has been "pulled in" somewhat. Not sure just how much TBH, but geometry says it is.

Originally Posted by Bowers86
I prefer hub centric spacers just for the slightly better fitment on the hub itself. Usually the holes for the lugs are oversized so if it’s not hub centric it can sit a little wonky which isn’t a big deal but messes with my OCD. Also like mass said ensure you have enough thread engagement for the lug nuts. I can’t remember how much leeway the F-150 has but having at least 7-8 of not more turns of the lug nut is preferable.

From this picture I have, looks like the hub has maybe 1/2” of hub centering surface, so even with a 1/4” spacer there should be a little left for the wheel to contact.

Same way with me. It would seem you could be setting yourself up with some out of balance relying on the bolt holes alone, of course that would depend on how tight the bolt holes are. Now, my aftermarket wheels, I'm not sure if they're hubcentric or not, but I think the taper of the cone on the lug nuts would ensure everything would be good.
Good discussion going on here with all you guys.

Quick Reply: ? on wheel spacers