General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB iPhone stops playing randomly

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default USB iPhone stops playing randomly

I searched the threads and was surprised I didn't find this already mentioned here. Maybe I didn't search the right way (sorry if so), but I'm looking for advice.

I have a 2018 Ford F150 with the K&H system (if that matters) and Sync. I have an iPhone 8 always updated to the latest firmware.

When connected by USB, to either port in the front, my iPhone will stop playing very randomly. It may go days with no problem, then repeat. When it happens, switching to another source and back to it doesn't help. The only thing that help is unplugging the phone from the cable, re-connecting, and re-selecting it as a source.

It appears the music actually stops playing. I've had this happen when playing podcasts as well. If I click "play" nothing happens.

I've driven a week on bluetooth and it never did this once, so I've narrowed it down to a USB problem. It seems to do it with either USB port.

I went and purchased a new Apple lighting cord just to eliminate that as an issue and because the one I had in there was showing some age. After 1.5 days, the problem returned.

This behavior started pretty quickly after I first took ownership. I have figured a dealership visit may be worthless as is their response to most things involving technology---blame it on apple--send me on my way.

Is there some known issue with USB connections with Sync? Could some part that controls both USB ports have gone bad? Other advice?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Bumping. No one has any insight on this? I recently bought a new Apple cord to try yet another cord. After about 1 day, the problem has resumed intermittently. I'm wondering if there is even a fix for it or if this a known problem. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My iPhone is doing the same exact thing. Very frustrating. Hoping someone knows why or has a fix
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

I find Android phones play nicer with vehicle infotainment systems than Apple does, and it's not just Ford. For example there are apps like Pandora that will connect over bluetooth but you have to plug the iPhone in and go to Carplay to do the same thing. I think Apple's high security protocols are to blame, which maybe a small sacrifice for a more secure device.

Last edited by RL1990; 12-30-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:30 PM

Might have found a fix. I unplugged my iPhone, turned off my Bluetooth and then reconnected to the truck. Worked for today at least. Everything was quicker and could navigate through the phones playlists and such. Hope it keeps it up.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JamesB524
My iPhone is doing the same exact thing. Very frustrating. Hoping someone knows why or has a fix
For what it's worth, I had my truck into the dealer on something and included this complaint of mine. I had video I recorded of it happening repeatedly. Of course, they told me they could not duplicate the problem but they went ahead and fully re-installed the firmware (or software? can't recall) of the system. All I can say is that, since, then, it has not happened to me once. It's been a few months and I drive/listen just about every day.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happens with new platinum I just bought . I will try to refresh the bluetooth like on e of you mentioned and if at dealers will mention it to them.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

I had that problem with Android, but i found the issue was the cheap 3rd party Amazon cord i was using. I ordered one directly from the Google store and so far, no issues. I don't think that will help you since you said you got one from Apple, but that was my issue and resolution.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 AM

Well, back to square one. It stopped again this morning. Time to take it to the dealer and let them try and work it out
Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

It's the iphone. I have this happen with my 6S in the truck and with a dock I have in my workshop. Just stops working at random and I have to undock and power off and on the phone to get it to play again. I got tired of the crap so just loaded up a USB stick instead, haven't had a problem since.

Streaming OTOH works just fine. Go figure.

Quick Reply: USB iPhone stops playing randomly