General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tuner for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is a tuner for me?

I want to increase the fuel economy on a daily basis, but have the option to as well get the most power when playing on the weekends. I am new to tuners and just looking into it and doing some mods.

2018 F150 XL Sport, SuperCrew, 4X4
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Go speed limit, go to the gym, take out the spare and never put anything or anyone in it. That will without a doubt increase your MPG. About any mods you do will take away from that. A tuner may increase it marginally. But you'll take years to get the cost of the tuner and custom tune back.

Best thing to do is realize you bought a truck and get the MPG numbers out of your head. Don't even look at it on your hud. Get your mods and enjoy the truck with whatever you do to it. You'll sleep better. Otherwise you'll be one of these pathetic individuals on here furiously typing away at their keyboard wonder why their MPG numbers aren't better.

Get a custom performance tune and enjoy your truck on a whole new level!

Last edited by SteveLord; 12-08-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Biggest mistake anyone makes is buying a truck with MPG in mind.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Buying a tuner will make the truck more fun to drive and make you have a heavier foot. It'll do the opposite of what you plan on buying it for OP.

With that being said.... buy a tuner
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

You might get a fuel economy increase with a tuner, but it will be marginal and it takes a LOT of fuel savings to cover the costs of a $400-500 tuner.

Also, it takes a while to switch tunes so I don’t think it’s practical to reprogram from a fuel economy tune to a power increase tune just for the weekends.

If you want better fuel economy play around with different speeds on the highway and learn to be light on the throttle. It took me a few months of driving my ecoboost before I started to get decent mpg's. At first I was driving it like every other car/truck I've driven, but best I could do was 15 mpg. Once I learned to stay under 73 and rarely go past 1/2 throttle I can easily hit 18-19 mpg (calculated). You don't mention your engine, but the EB's will kill your fuel economy when you get into the boost.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that i bought a truck, and should not be worried about MPG. However I dont want to just throw money away on gas. I have driven trucks before and i am getting better MPG than in the past, but have been extremely easy on the pedal. I have this one a week now and just over 600 miles driven and computer says i am getting 18.4 MPG. Hope that i can maintain similar going forward.

2018 F150 STX Screw 5.0 V8
Old 12-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Clark
I understand that i bought a truck, and should not be worried about MPG. However I dont want to just throw money away on gas. I have driven trucks before and i am getting better MPG than in the past, but have been extremely easy on the pedal. I have this one a week now and just over 600 miles driven and computer says i am getting 18.4 MPG. Hope that i can maintain similar going forward.

2018 F150 STX Screw 5.0 V8
I've got a 2018 XLT Screw 5.0 V8. Based on my experience and a little research on this forum, your computer calculated MPG is probable 1-2 MPG on the high side. Based on my hand calculations I am getting around 14.7 MPG local driving.

I bought a tuner for my Harley because the bike runs lean from the factory. Decreased my MPG a little, but the bike runs cooler and is more responsive to the throttle.

Quick Reply: Is a tuner for me?