General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late model shop service manuals

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late model shop service manuals

I'm preparing to rebuild my 4.9 i6 here in a few months and so far the only literature I can find (at a reasonable price) are Haynes and Chilton manuals. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a shop manual or something with plenty of diagrams for vaccum lines, wiring, etc. And has exploded views showing thhe components of certain assemblies. The truck is a 1984 f150 xlt with the 4 speed 4x4. Any help appreciated!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Ott
I'm preparing to rebuild my 4.9 i6 here in a few months and so far the only literature I can find (at a reasonable price) are Haynes and Chilton manuals. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a shop manual or something with plenty of diagrams for vaccum lines, wiring, etc. And has exploded views showing thhe components of certain assemblies. The truck is a 1984 f150 xlt with the 4 speed 4x4. Any help appreciated!
The only manuals i'm aware of that go in depth like that are Ford shop manuals. You can find bunches of them on ebay but they ain't cheap. Chilton and Haynes manuals are useless compared.

You might get lucky and find some in your local library to borrow.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The only manuals i'm aware of that go in depth like that are Ford shop manuals. You can find bunches of them on ebay but they ain't cheap. Chilton and Haynes manuals are useless compared.

You might get lucky and find some in your local library to borrow.
Thats what i've been seeing. Most are $100+. I've seen the cd's run less but you can't beat a physical copy you can take notes in and not have to run in and out to look at something. Maybe I can get lucky and someone on here will have a bunch of diagrams from their recent project. Thanks for the tip on checking the local library, didnt even occur to me.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

'84 & anything with the 4.9L would be an EARLY model, and Haynes is the best manual for the money. Most of what you need to know is in there, including wiring diagrams (if you get an OLD edition). Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

But if it needs rebuilt, you'd be much better-off buying a professionally-reman'ed long block for the truck, and dropping it in. Even better would be swapping to a later EFI engine, which is what I did a few decades ago, and that engine is still running like-new with somewhere near 900Kmi on it, in its 3rd chassis.

The only vacuum diagram you need (if you keep using a carb) is the one on the core support. Exactly which assemblies do you need to see exploded? There's a lot of information about these old trucks in the photo albums in my signature link.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Helm Inc. may be able to help, they're the ones that publish all of Ford's service manuals.

https://www.helminc.com/
Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc63
Helm Inc. may be able to help, they're the ones that publish all of Ford's service manuals.

https://www.helminc.com/
They don't go back that far for the year model in question.

Quick Reply: Late model shop service manuals