General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck starts and dies when it wants to. 1996 F150 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Truck starts and dies when it wants to. 1996 F150 5.0

I need help figuring out why my 96 f150 5.0 wont get spark and start. Bear with me cause I'm going to add as many details as possible so someone can help me narrow it down.

So my truck stopped wanting to start a few weeks ago, it died on me and I couldn't get it to start after. It is acting really weird because when I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump kick on but it doesn't start, it has no spark, but if I leave the key on for a couple of minutes I'll hear the pump kick on a second time and then the truck will get spark and start. I know it's not a fuel issue because the pump kicks on every time and I have good fuel pressure it just doesn't have spark. I have replaced all the spark plugs, the spark coil, and the ignition control module but still no spark. I'm checking spark from the spark coil it's self and it's not giving any, the distributor spins fine so I'm thinking it an issue with something going to the spark coil because it's a brand new coil. The connector for it has power and everything but it only gets spark after fuel pump kicks on a second time.
Sorry for the long thread I just wanted to be sure I addressed everything and would appreciate some feedback on possible causes and solutions
Thank you
Old 05-09-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 228 Likes on 203 Posts

Intermittent electrical issues are always fun to chase - NOT!

Three main components - coil, TFI module (your ignition control module), and the PIP module inside the distributor.

Electrical resistance specs for each piece-part are available in many shop manuals, to avoid replacing good parts with new parts and unnecessarily deflating the wallet.

Also suggest that just because a part is recently new, doesn't give it an automatic Pass.

If the PIP checks bad, many opt to just replace the entire distributor, as knocking the roll pin out and getting the gear off the shaft without damage is a feat in itself.

Then there are the more unusual but not unheard of things such as flaky grounding or not readily visible pinched / broken wiring or bad caps in the computer.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:06 AM

Default Reply

Doesn't the spark come from the coil tho and then sent through the distributor to the plug? Cause when I check for spark I'm checking the coil specifically. Also I don't understand why it will get spark after I hear the fuel pump engage a second time when the truck is left on
Old 05-09-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 228 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, but the TFI and PIP tell the coil 'when' to cut the spark loose.

Could be any one of many things, until you figure out what it is, just have to work through all the things it's not until you find it.

Mentioned some of the higher probability stuff here in hopes of an easier fix earlier, aside from that, just have to run through the list of possibilities.

IIRC, and I'm sure that if I don't, other users will correct me shortly - the ignition fires through grounding the primary side of the coil, so another question is whether 12V is reaching the coil when the key is rolled to On - making for another possibility that maybe the ignition switch on top of the steering column above the brake pedal has a problem where jiggling the switch with the key rolls a couple times finally makes the needed contact? Yet another unusual, but also not unheard of event given the age of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:10 PM

Default Reply

Okay I have ordered a new distributor and will try that , I'll let you know what I find when it comes in
Old 05-12-2024, 02:09 AM

Default Reply

Originally Posted by wde3477
Yes, but the TFI and PIP tell the coil 'when' to cut the spark loose.

Could be any one of many things, until you figure out what it is, just have to work through all the things it's not until you find it.

Mentioned some of the higher probability stuff here in hopes of an easier fix earlier, aside from that, just have to run through the list of possibilities.

IIRC, and I'm sure that if I don't, other users will correct me shortly - the ignition fires through grounding the primary side of the coil, so another question is whether 12V is reaching the coil when the key is rolled to On - making for another possibility that maybe the ignition switch on top of the steering column above the brake pedal has a problem where jiggling the switch with the key rolls a couple times finally makes the needed contact? Yet another unusual, but also not unheard of event given the age of the vehicle.
So changing the distributor worked thank you so much for the help I wouldn't have figured that out on my own
The following 2 users liked this post by Apokaliptic3:
Jimboy (05-12-2024), Mark Miller (05-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Truck starts and dies when it wants to. 1996 F150 5.0