Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
JMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting

I have a 94 f150 if i drive it to the store and come right back out it wont start but when rollin over it trys to fire so if i let it set 40 min it will start.Also sometime when driving down the road it will cut out if i push the pedal to the floor. I recently did a complete tuneup.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no start

may be your problem not as big as it appears . does the engine run well when it does if so ; start with some basic checks .
the battery cables / post , they need to be clean and tight corrosion will seep between the clamp and post . the deposits on post will eat into the cables causing corrosion; it gets into the wire covering and you can't see this and breaks wire strands * it will not allow the battery to recharge fully .* the battery should have enough water to charge properly and provide enough voltage to start . I only use distilled water in the battery and in the radiator . if the battery is full , then over time adding water will dilute the acid and the battery will lose proper acidity . the battery should be checked for dead cells and require new battery . also get the alternator checked for proper voltage output . the serpentine belt may be loose . and won't allow for the alternator to charge the battery . check for a good tensioner pulley . the belt may be in good shape but if the tensioner is weak the belt will be loose . the throttle body may have too much carbon deposits not allowing for full throttle
. throttle body spray may help loosen carbon and freeing the throttle plate . get some fuel injector cleaner gas additive; I use Lucas . also consider changing the fuel filter

this is what I would do first .

mine ' 94 f -150 302 w/ 163,800 proud miles .
good luck ;let me know what you find .

Last edited by gassign94; 01-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: trouble starting