General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor Fault

I recently bought a 2018 F-150 and a week into ownership I'm getting a Tire Pressure Monitor Fault on every engine start. All tire pressures read zero. I've tried retraining several times (both operating manual procedure and with a tool) and can't get past the first tire. Logically, it seems that the module that communicates with each tire is bad but I can't find any posts talking about that. Can anybody help?
Old 07-31-2022, 02:16 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Excerpted from the Ford Motorcraft TIRE PRESURE MONITORING SYSTEM document ...

note: The associated control unit is behind the RH (passenger) interior, floor kick panel.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Excerpted from the Ford Motorcraft TIRE PRESURE MONITORING SYSTEM document ...

note: The associated control unit is behind the RH (passenger) interior, floor kick panel.
Thanks for the info. I have none of those devices connected. I do have a USB cable plugged in most of the time. So, the control unit is same place as the code for the keyless lock?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:51 PM

Received 612 Likes on 402 Posts

Visit a tire shop and ask them to check the in-tire sensors. 4 years is early but not unheard of for the batteries to fail.

The test is no more difficult than to gauge each tire’s pressure but it uses a $250 tool.

New sensors vary in price from $20 on eBay (big risk) to the $250/each (installed) a friend was quoted. He bought (4) Autel MX clonable/programmable sensors on Amazon for under $120. We used my Autel TS-508 to clone them to mimic his OE sensors. Took one wheel off at a time, deflated, pressed the tire bead off one side, used 2x4s to hold the tire back when replacing the valve and TPMS. Lubed the bead with soapy water, reinflated, back on truck all was wonderful again.

The Autel sensors require the Autel tool to tell them what to be, a Ford sensor, a GM sensor, a Tesla sensor, whatever. Alternatively you can buy a sensor specifically compatible with your vehicle and use other means to pair it with the truck. In our case the truck doesn’t know we changed the sensors, we made the new look like the old.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,727 Posts

Welcome.
Does the truck have aftermarket wheels ??
The following users liked this post:
N4HHE (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Welcome.
Does the truck have aftermarket wheels ??
Thats a good question. He just bought the truck, used. No telling what has been done. I just think unlikely the TPMS receiver in the truck is at fault.

Around here there are a number of Craigslist vendors selling new take-off tire+wheel for less than one can purchase new tires. Most have the TPMS removed. A used car dealer might have mounted take-offs without TPMS.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:59 PM

I think the wheels are stock. I find it hard to believe that all 4 batteries/sensors went bad on the same engine startup. (All tire pressures read zero)

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2022, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by wastyg
I think the wheels are stock. I find it hard to believe that all 4 batteries/sensors went bad on the same engine startup. (All tire pressures read zero)
Disbelieve it all you want it won't change anything. "Impossible" things happen all the time.

Get a tire shop to read the sensors in the wheels. Its really easy, I find it easier than unscrewing the valve cap and applying a pressure gauge.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:35 PM

I will check it out. Thanks for being persistent.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm getting the same code in my 2019 F150.

Called the dealer to get it checked. They were going to schedule me 10 days out. Which is 5 days after the warranty expires. They wouldn't tell me it would be covered so I called Ford. Same reply.

Amazing to me that my warranty wouldn't cover an issue brought to Fords attention and scheduled to get repaired before the warranty expires.

This bus been an absolutely flawless truck to this point.

Still frustrating.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Fault