Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to let go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time to let go?

Hi All,

Forum + F-150 newbie here. I created and registered an account to get some advice & input from more experienced F-150 owners. I posted this in the "Introductions" discussion, but also wanted to add here for more visibility.

I've always wanted an F-150 since my sophomore year of college in 2013. I finally got one last summer at a Sam Pack Dealership here in Dallas and was super excited! It's a 2013 F-150, FX4, 5.0L V8 with 91,000 miles at the time of purchase for $24,000. Unfortunately, the honeymoon phase quickly wore off because of repair costs...

Since I bought it July 2023 - Present, it has costed $5,056.96 in repairs. Here's a list of what was done:
  • July 2023
    • Wheel Replacement + Black Bolts
      • Cosmetic changes! I was excited when I first bought it, so I wanted to make it look better
        • $228.25
  • July 2023
    • Fuel Pump Control Module
    • Rear Brake w/ Rotors
    • Brake System Fluid
    • Cooling System Fluid
    • Fuel Induction Cleaning
      • I brought it here because of a consistent whining noise from the rear drivers side and 6-8 mpg. I now know it was from the Fuel Pump, but Christian Brother's didn't even fix it...they freaked out and identified a lot of other stuff. The list above is the work I approved and they even verbally berated me for not getting more done. These were the recommendations; don't know if all repairs were absolutely necessary or not.
        • $1,946.20
  • July 2023
    • Exhaust Extension
      • The previous owner cut the exhaust early off to make it sound louder when accelerating, but pointed it right at the rear axel. I have a 1 year old & can't have that really loud cabin noise.
        • $189.55
  • August 2023
    • Low Pressure Fuel Pump
      • It died when I was turning at a red light in the middle of an intersection...before that, I got 6-8 mpg and a consistent whining noise from the rear drivers side (as Christian Brothers should have originally identified and fixed).
        • $698.96
  • September 2023
    • Driver Side (Bank 2) Catalytic Converter Replacement
      • Driving home one day and I heard a loud "pop" as we were accelerating from a red light. The check engine light came on the next day.
        • $575.00
          • Side Note: I think it was this price because it's a used/cleaned out cat...
  • April 2024
    • A/C Refrigerant Correction
      • It's getting hot here and the AC wasn't blowing cold. Just kinda cold-ish. I wanted to try adding refrigerant myself by getting a gauge, hose, and 2 cans of R134a from AutoZone. I thought I stayed under 30, yet somehow managed to stupidly overfill the A/C compressor by 2lbs. They evacuated the system & fixed my mistake.
        • $189.00
    • A/C Compressor, A/C line, New Belt, A/C Service, Expansion Valve
      • When I stupidly overfilled the AC, it broke the compressor. They replaced all parts but it still doesn't blow cold air. They suspect it to be the Expansion Valve.
        • $1,230.00
    • As I write this, It's still in the shop w/ the A/C being fixed. So hopefully, the Expansion Valve really is the issue and doesn't cost more...
So there you have it. $5,056.96 because of things beyond my control + my own mistakes (at the end there w/ the AC). The windshield is cracked too and I got a quote to fix it for $265.00. It also has a minor oil leak on the front sway bar & I suspect it's the oil pan gasket. I haven't done either yet because we've just been throwing money at this thing... I feel terrible for my wife because she's being so patient watching our savings dry up with my terrible decision making. It also makes it harder to have a second kid because it cost so much money with the initial down payment + monthly payments ($18,000.00 remaining on loan) + all these repairs.

Now I'm asking y'all for help: It it time to let go?

Don't get me wrong. I love it. It's blacked out. The sound of the coyote is wonderful; my son loves it and it makes me happy to see him imitate the noise. The leather seats and smell are intoxicating. I love it all and more.
But I can't ignore the costs...

Is this normal? What should be expected next? Will the repairs slow down?? The water pump? Head gasket? Something else?? If it is indeed time to let go, what's a legitimately fair price to list and later (hopefully) bargain/sell it for?

I feel I'm always flinching when I drive it just expecting something to happen. Please let me know if this is normal or unusual for 12th Gen F-150's or if there's any wisdom/advice seasoned owners can offer. By no means am I versed in mechanic terms & knowledge. I can get around using the internet, but I am very much a beginner at mechanical knowledge. Any help would be appreciated because I am feeling so guilty, anxious, and regret since this purchase.

Thanks y'all,

It is time to listen to Iceman?

Old 04-20-2024, 01:55 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Find a new shop competent of diagnosis instead of replace-something-until-the-problem-goes-away mentality. After you find the shop you trust use them for most all repairs and service. Modern vehicle technology makes do-it-yourself service risky.

Use Blackstone Labrotories oil analysis at your next oil change to verify if any engine problems are evident; a cheap $35 for confidence.

Enjoy the truck drive. You can’t see your own wheels when driving, so the appearance has no effect on your joy of driving experience. Next time save your money.

The exhaust problem you solved is a lesson that next time buy a stock used and avoid any truck modified in any way. Lifts, levels, aftermarket wheels, tuning, after market exhausts, cold air intakes, are all things that would indicate a higher likelihood the truck has problems created by the former owner.

Last edited by Velosprout; 04-20-2024 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Wow! I have a 2013 with 118K mi and other than the infamous cold start rattle issue and the fresh/recirc actuator issue which were both fixed under warranty years ago, I have done nothing else beyond routine maintenance. Still running and performing like new. So sorry!
Old 04-20-2024, 07:34 AM

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,704 Posts

This is a doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Mikes1stF150 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 08:16 AM
in the house

Received 1,340 Likes on 777 Posts

Do we really need (or want) TWO threads on this subject?
Old 04-20-2024, 09:22 AM

Received 1,135 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Do we really need (or want) TWO threads on this subject?
no. No.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:24 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,713 Posts

With 2 different user names !!
Old 04-20-2024, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
With 2 different user names !!
Hi Alibi,

Sorry for the double post. I should have written a general introduction in the other thread and my question over here. I'll fix that in the future.

Legitimate question: Is is showing two user names for you? Here's a screenshot below of what I see on my end. It's my same username, "Pedunkle". Let me know so I can figure that out.

Thanks,

Old 04-20-2024, 11:12 AM

Apologies. I won't double post next time. Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-20-2024, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Velosprout
Find a new shop competent of diagnosis instead of replace-something-until-the-problem-goes-away mentality. After you find the shop you trust use them for most all repairs and service. Modern vehicle technology makes do-it-yourself service risky.

Use Blackstone Labrotories oil analysis at your next oil change to verify if any engine problems are evident; a cheap $35 for confidence.

Enjoy the truck drive. You can’t see your own wheels when driving, so the appearance has no effect on your joy of driving experience. Next time save your money.

The exhaust problem you solved is a lesson that next time buy a stock used and avoid any truck modified in any way. Lifts, levels, aftermarket wheels, tuning, after market exhausts, cold air intakes, are all things that would indicate a higher likelihood the truck has problems created by the former owner.
Thanks for the input Velosprout. Yeah, it's a really expensive lesson. Each repair I've done has been at a different shop, so I have yet to find one, here in North DFW, that is actually competent. If anyone knows of any, I'd be open to suggestions.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: Is it time to let go?