Sync trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sync trouble

Hi.

I have a 2011 XLT with Microsoft Sync.

I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for Sync:

Sometimes, when I hit the voice commands button on the steering column and say "BlueTooth Audio," Sync tells me "No BlueTooth device is available right now. I will try to connect one." It then proceeds to search for the phone for a couple of minutes and eventually it usually finds the phone. The iPhone 5 is paired and I haven't unpaired it since I got the phone.

This tends to show up when I am listening to something via Sync, shut off the truck, run into a store, come right back out again and want to keep listening. It's a little annoying that it forgot my device was just connected a few minutes ago, and I have to go through all that to get it to recognize.

When I had the truck to the dealer for service a while back, I asked if there were any updates to Sync, and I was told there were not. Seems odd that a Microsoft product would go years without an update, when they want to update Windows so frequently.

I'd really like to be able to use the Sync voice controls to change stations in Pandora and other apps, but that's not an option with my version.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomUserName
Hi.

I have a 2011 XLT with Microsoft Sync.

I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for Sync:

Sometimes, when I hit the voice commands button on the steering column and say "BlueTooth Audio," Sync tells me "No BlueTooth device is available right now. I will try to connect one." It then proceeds to search for the phone for a couple of minutes and eventually it usually finds the phone. The iPhone 5 is paired and I haven't unpaired it since I got the phone.

This tends to show up when I am listening to something via Sync, shut off the truck, run into a store, come right back out again and want to keep listening. It's a little annoying that it forgot my device was just connected a few minutes ago, and I have to go through all that to get it to recognize.

When I had the truck to the dealer for service a while back, I asked if there were any updates to Sync, and I was told there were not. Seems odd that a Microsoft product would go years without an update, when they want to update Windows so frequently.

I'd really like to be able to use the Sync voice controls to change stations in Pandora and other apps, but that's not an option with my version.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
RandomUserName,

I can help! Which system do you have? Check out this link and let me know: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...with-sync.html

Shaay
Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Shaay I'm having similar issues with mine plus just a couple days ago it was like Sync took a vacation. It went in this endless loop when I wanted it to go to USB...it just kept repeating itself until I selected the radio button and then it would only recognize XM radio no normal radio stations and then I couldn't get Sync to activate either. Eventually I had to turn the truck on and off multiple times and I had to do it in a way to trick the truck into thinking I got out of the truck and then got back into it. I have a 2011 Lariat with the basic Sync. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My sync does the same thing as the OP's. However, I think it mostly happens to my phone. Usually it was when I am on a call and turn the vehicle off, then open the door. The phone then switches to normal use, which it should. When I return to the truck, it may take longer to reconnect. To me, it is just how it works...although it may throw me off from time to time, not a huge issue. I just try to remember to check sync before I start driving. If my phone is not on a call when I leave the truck, it never has an issue. By the way, a also have a 2011 XLT S-Crew.

Maybe stop the playlist/music or whatever your Ipad is syncing at the time you need to get out of the vehicle and hit "play" when you return to the vehicle?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same problem a few times and just disable BT on my phone and re-enable it and it reconnects with no issues.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Ford Customer Service

Hey everyone!

I'd suggest first checking for software updates in your Owner account: www.Owner.Ford.com Once logged in, select the SYNC & HOW TOS tab then select CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES. If you don't have an account, select REGISTER to create one.

You can download the update using an empty USB drive that can hold at least 2GB of data.

Shaay
Old 06-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey everyone!

I'd suggest first checking for software updates in your Owner account: www.Owner.Ford.com Once logged in, select the SYNC & HOW TOS tab then select CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES. If you don't have an account, select REGISTER to create one.

You can download the update using an empty USB drive that can hold at least 2GB of data.

Shaay
Do i need to do a Vehicle Health Report first?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Ford Customer Service

Originally Posted by Bowhuntin4ever
Do i need to do a Vehicle Health Report first?
Hi Bowhuntin4ever,

The Vehicle Health Report is not mandatory, but it's recommended to make sure the update was not already installed. You can continue with the download and installation without running the report.

Shaay
Old 06-30-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi Bowhuntin4ever,

The Vehicle Health Report is not mandatory, but it's recommended to make sure the update was not already installed. You can continue with the download and installation without running the report.

Shaay
Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Ford Customer Service

Originally Posted by Bowhuntin4ever
Thanks
Bowhuntin4ever,

Anytime!

Shaay

Quick Reply: Sync trouble