General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Question.

I have had my 2013 F150 FX2 for about 3 months now, I put 34” tires on with a 2.5” level kit and already trimmed around the wheel wells for rubbing, I was curious if there was any issues I would run into down the line as far as control arms,etc... I have recently felt like my alignment was off, Steering was loose and the engine felt like it was struggling going uphil. I was also thinking about buying a tune so that the truck would recognize the 34” instead of stock size.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you do a wheel alignment after leveling and swapping wheels?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

An alignment is usually needed after a level. The larger tires are most likely heavier and do make the motor work more. If you have the 3.31 rear end the power loss is more noticeable.

The level changes the angles of the front suspension and generally cause additional wear. A tune has nothing to do with recognizing tires but increasing HP and TQ. Choose very wisely if you think you must.

A good tuner can get you more power but can also be at the expense of possible engine wear. I'd make sure the plugs, air filter etc were all good before I put a tune on.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

You shouldn't need to trim anything. 34'' fit on stock suspension. However, the 2.5'' lift might be the cause of the rubbing.

If you didn't perform a wheel alignment, do it. It's off specs, 100% sure.

Also, lifting a truck with strut spacers (I assume that's what you did) will affect your handling & ''feel'' of the steering. Most of the truck owners don't like it. You will not get back the factory suspension ''feel'' and handling.

Last edited by Eduskator; 11-23-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get an alignment after the level kit, but not after I put bigger tires on. Also I have been feeling a grinding when making sharp turns also I noticed that on my left side where the struts/shocks are I see a piece of rubber around it cracked. The vehicle is certified so I have a warranty but I’m scared that’s by putting bigger tires on it may have voided the warranty.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhern315
I have had my 2013 F150 FX2 for about 3 months now, I put 34” tires on with a 2.5” level kit and already trimmed around the wheel wells for rubbing, I was curious if there was any issues I would run into down the line as far as control arms,etc... I have recently felt like my alignment was off, Steering was loose and the engine felt like it was struggling going uphil. I was also thinking about buying a tune so that the truck would recognize the 34” instead of stock size.
I'm not sure which engine you have so you should double-check on their website that it works with your engine, but Superchips has a tuner which will correct your speedometer (and thus I believe shift points) for your 34" tires, which may help eliminate the sluggishness.

https://superchips.com/shop/ford-fla...for-truck-1545

I have the upgraded version of this tuner to accommodate for my tires and aftermarket gears. (This one: https://superchips.com/shop/f5-ford-flashpaq )

Regarding your warranty, there's no harm in bringing it to the dealer and seeing what they say. New tires won't "void" your warranty. The most they can do is try to tell you that what you've done with the level "caused" the issue, and then they'll say they won't fix it for free. But you can discuss that with them.