General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input

So I have a 1964 Chevy Suburban thats chopped and dropped with a 327 sbc and it's been sitting for four years. I know the battery and starter are shot, So what should I do to get this thing back up and running? Flush all the fluids, brakes? I would just like to know whats reasonable to replace and whats not. Thanks.<br> Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input-dirty-burb.jpg
<br>Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input-dirty-engine.jpg
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably be best changing out all the seals too. In 4 years they woulda dried up and will just start leaking everywhere once you get it running.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by wakonako
Probably be best changing out all the seals too. In 4 years they woulda dried up and will just start leaking everywhere once you get it running.
Good call, what about the fuel tank? Would I have to remove it to drain it and clean it out of all the left over sitting gas?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd drain the gas and take a leaf blower to the rest...change the battery and starter and add fresh gas and fire it up....I have had them set longer than that and be fine....

if it is the original tank it should have a drain plug in the bottom...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
I'd drain the gas and take a leaf blower to the rest...change the battery and starter and add fresh gas and fire it up....I have had them set longer than that and be fine....

if it is the original tank it should have a drain plug in the bottom...
Dr. Bowtie- Thanks, I'm glad you can give me a rough diagnosis with your expert bowtie opinion. I will do just that..
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

When I parked it four years ago it was running just fine. Apparently I rented it out to a family of raccoons and rats but I just evicted them so I think the leaf blower and new fluid is my best bet. I should know for sure by next weekend.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Sweet! I want it. I've started and ran cars that were sitting longer than that without changing anything. That thing is pretty nice though.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Sweet! I want it. I've started and ran cars that were sitting longer than that without changing anything. That thing is pretty nice though.
same here...hadf one sit 10 years and on a tank full of gas and i fired it up...ran fine...

Sean....hate to tell you I gave away a 63 just like that...it was a straight 6 but motor and tranny was missing...I still kick myself in the *** for doing that...had NO rust...

Just like the 71 chevelle I sold for 200.00 minus motor and tranny...same deal...

to make you all sick?

I cut up a perfectly good 55 and 57 chevy because no one would buy it and they had no titles and I had no place to store them...unlike now....

the 55 was a 2 door and the 57 was a 4 door...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
*ROLL TIDE*

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen a suburban that old, it's friggin awesome! U can give it to me and I'll figure out how to get her running again
Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Zombie Killer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a sweet burb! I love the 60-66 body style. My Dad has a 66 GMC Swb that I've posted on here before. I second throwing a battery and some fresh gas at it and seeing if she'll fire. If you get it running, a good tune-up wouldn't hurt. Got any more pics of it? Does it have the third door?

Quick Reply: Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input