Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are regular cabs becoming extinct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Are regular cabs becoming extinct?

I have noticed that there are not too many newer model regular cabs around town (I live in Cleveland, Ohio), at least not in my town. Do you think Ford will ever phase them out, as they have done with the manual transmission?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

They are still widely used for fleet and work trucks, so I don't think they'll ever be phased out completely. I do think the available options and trim levels will keep shrinking though.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was single id probably have gotten a regular cab. I have a supercrew and really like it. The only thing I dont like is that even for having a huge cab there is not enough room to store stuff. But when the family takes a trip and wants leg room etc this is our vehicle of choice.
I was told by a dealer that the resale on extended and 4 door trucks was much higher than on regular cabs. I do not know this for sure since I have not looked it up to compare. Right now though used vehicle prices have went up a bit, of course we all know there are circumstances for some being higher and some being lower.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When I was looking for my Scab they were few and far between. Most of the trucks on the lots and being ordered by dealers are Screws.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Most new regular cabs are used in a working/ fleet environment, they still can be bought from a dealership. The only downside is you can't find them with the luxuries of a lariat, only in the trim levels of XL and possibly STX.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

I really dont feel it being that far fetched of reg cabs disappearing. Nissan did it 6 or 8 years ago with the frontier and to make up for the possible lost sales, they started offering a stripped down ex cab model.
think about it, a super cab really isnt a whole lot more expensive than a reg cab, and if you offer a model without a rear seat, plus the manufacturing savings of less cab configurations, you could legitimately offer a super cab for fairly close to a reg cab price.
do I think its a wise move ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!
Ford is making a bad move by ditching the ranger and thus completely removing themselves from the compact truck market. dumping the reg cab option would be almost as bad.
plus there are people who (like my wife) think that even my reg cab short bed 2wd F150 is just too big, add another 24" in length to the truck and it becomes enormous to those people.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded in a F350 reg cab when I bought my f150 and took a hit on trade in value because it was a regular cab. No one wants one except for fleet.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPETE
I really dont feel it being that far fetched of reg cabs disappearing. Nissan did it 6 or 8 years ago with the frontier and to make up for the possible lost sales, they started offering a stripped down ex cab model.
think about it, a super cab really isnt a whole lot more expensive than a reg cab, and if you offer a model without a rear seat, plus the manufacturing savings of less cab configurations, you could legitimately offer a super cab for fairly close to a reg cab price.
do I think its a wise move ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!
Ford is making a bad move by ditching the ranger and thus completely removing themselves from the compact truck market. dumping the reg cab option would be almost as bad.
plus there are people who (like my wife) think that even my reg cab short bed 2wd F150 is just too big, add another 24" in length to the truck and it becomes enormous to those people.
I was very upset at Ford for ditching the Ranger, I had been driving them (2) for the past 24 years. I thought the F150 would be too big also, that is why I ordered a 2012 F 150 regular cab, short bed. I have had my F150 for close to a month now and I love it! The ride is light years more comfortable than the Ranger IMO. I loved my Rangers, and hope the F150 will be as durable and reliable. BTW, I am getting better gas milage in my F 150 3.7 V6 than my last Ranger that had a 3.0 V 6 ,5 speed manual.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 AM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckFourByFour

I was very upset at Ford for ditching the Ranger, I had been driving them (2) for the past 24 years. I thought the F150 would be too big also, that is why I ordered a 2012 F 150 regular cab, short bed. I have had my F150 for close to a month now and I love it! The ride is light years more comfortable than the Ranger IMO. I loved my Rangers, and hope the F150 will be as durable and reliable. BTW, I am getting better gas milage in my F 150 3.7 V6 than my last Ranger that had a 3.0 V 6 ,5 speed manual.
Technically they didn't get rid of ranger they just don't sell it here in the states any more.

Name:  image-4040883827.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  27.9 KB

What the ranger looks like in Australia. Where they sell it now. From what I hear.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 AM
DINOSAURS BURN GOOD!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no reason that they would phase out the regular cab, I am driving by my self 99% of the time, so it makes no sense for me to have crew cab, I love my regular cab, its setup in the front like my dads 02 screw with two buckets and a center console that flips up to make a 3rd seat.

it has much more room than the 00 reg cab truck that we used to have at the shop

as far as packages go, My reg cab is an FX4 package and is a very nice looking truck (I love black interiors)

I remember seing 92-96 reg cabs with the eddie bauer and lariat packages.

Quick Reply: Are regular cabs becoming extinct?