Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding IWE issue 2016 F150 SuperC 2.7, 30K Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding IWE issue 2016 F150 SuperC 2.7, 30K Mileage

Hello,

Since last week, my truck started making a noisy like humming sound at the left front side in 2WD mode only, not like dragging metal though. the weather was really cold like -20C in Ontario Canada.
As I googled, so many people have this kind of issues since 200x to present F150. So I brought the truck to the dealership, and they told me that it needs to replace IWE actuator. But, Ford has to order this part from the USA because they do not have it in CANADA.

so my question is that my truck is able to drive and will not be problem with noisy in 2WD until the dealership get the part? or do I have to always keep change to 4WD mode?
when I googled article here, someone said this problem damages other parts by driving with this noisy, and it is better to disconnect valves from solenoid. please advise me what to do, thank you guys!

Last edited by babayetu; 01-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Disconnecting the solenoid will solve your noise issue but, will cause another issue. That is to leave your front wheels engaged all the time. Thus locking them together and putting strain on the drive train. Personally, if it isn’t constant I would leave it connected. Letting off the gas or switching to 4wd and back to 2wd will usually get it to stop.

Also, see if they have the check valve in stock. Replace that first. It has resolved a lot of the IWE noise issues.
The following users liked this post:
babayetu (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by babayetu
Hello,

Since last week, my truck started making a noisy like humming sound at the left front side in 2WD mode only, not like dragging metal though. the weather was really cold like -20C in Ontario Canada.
As I googled, so many people have this kind of issues since 200x to present F150. So I brought the truck to the dealership, and they told me that it needs to replace IWE actuator. But, Ford has to order this part from the USA because they do not have it in CANADA.

so my question is that my truck is able to drive and will not be problem with noisy in 2WD until the dealership get the part? or do I have to always keep change to 4WD mode?
when I googled article here, someone said this problem damages other parts by driving with this noisy, and it is better to disconnect valves from solenoid. please advise me what to do, thank you guys!
You should be just fine if it's a short period, especially since you don't hear any metal to metal rubbing noise. The possible damage for this specific issue is the actuator rubbing on the front axle's teeth. When they will change your actuator, they will have the axle in front of them so they SHOULD inspect it to make sure it's OK. If something's wrong, they SHOULD change it at the same time.

My 2017 did rub pretty bad (metal to metal, probably the actuator rubbing on the axle) a few times when it was really cold outside (-30C to -40C) and dealership said everything was fine... Hasn't made the noise since, but I will definitively change my Check Valve once I'll receive it.

Oh and, donot use 4x4 on dry surface; it will damage components.

Last edited by Eduskator; 01-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.
babayetu (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Try this thread, it may help you understand what's going on.
https://www.f150forum.com/f2/4x4-iwe...g-cure-404406/
Follow what's said about troubleshooting.
You can drive it, but every time you hear that sound, it's grinding the teeth down in the hub. You could disconnect the vacuum hoses on the solenoid. Leave the hose going down to the hubs disconnected, but the other hose coming from the check valve should be plugged to prevent air being sucked in.
All you're accomplishing by doing this is locking the hubs in, and turning the halfshafts. You won't actually be in 4H, unless you turn the **** to that position, and we all know you don't want to drive on high friction surfaces in 4H/4L.
I'd suggest replacing the checkvalve, all too many dealers just go ahead and throw hubs at this problem, when chances are pretty good it's only a $14USD part. Probably closer to $20CA.
babayetu (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you guys, I really appreciate advising me for this issue. actually I have read all you guys articles and I was shocked and disappointed FORD.
how could even recent F150s happen this things? they just put F150 in a big refrigerator, and check list to all OK?
what if I would not have a warranty? even it covers by warranty, it is still wasting time and money to deal with dealership.
I just ordered check valve on Amazon today. but even ordering from amazon, I have to wait a few week to ship this check valve...I think i know why..16's solenoid location is the same as 17s but the line location is different. I am not sure I can install two check valves like 17's.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I don't know why Ford does what they do, sometimes it just doesn't make sense.
I had right about 500 miles on my '17 when it developed the problem, others go for thousands, my '12 had 58k miles on it when I sold it, and never a problem.
I agree, after all those years, you'd think Ford could do better.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by babayetu
thank you guys, I really appreciate advising me for this issue. actually I have read all you guys articles and I was shocked and disappointed FORD.
how could even recent F150s happen this things? they just put F150 in a big refrigerator, and check list to all OK?
what if I would not have a warranty? even it covers by warranty, it is still wasting time and money to deal with dealership.
I just ordered check valve on Amazon today. but even ordering from amazon, I have to wait a few week to ship this check valve...I think i know why..16's solenoid location is the same as 17s but the line location is different. I am not sure I can install two check valves like 17's.
You'd be surprised... I brought mine in and it was -30F outside, it didn't make any noise at all. No sound, no rubbing. Service lady told me they had performed a series of test and everything was OK so they gave it back to me, but I know issue is still present. Looking forward to see if a new check valve will be a permanent fix.

By doing that (rubbing) every once in a while, it will end up damaging parts slowly, breaking most likely after warranty period. That might be one of the reason why they don't give damn.

Last edited by Eduskator; 01-11-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

All manufacturers have an issue that plagues their vehicle(s) that they don't fix for whatever reason. It isn't unique to just Ford. Right or wrong. That is the world we live in and humans never make everything perfect.

Quick Reply: Regarding IWE issue 2016 F150 SuperC 2.7, 30K Mileage