General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoBoost "Honking"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EcoBoost "Honking"

My 2014 XLT SC 4X4 3.5 ecoboost bought with 18K made a "Honking" sound when hard acceleration. Only couple times and of course could not duplicate for dealer. Now at 40k miles it seems to be more frequent. Only lasts for about 1 second and truly sounds like a low pitch goose call. definitely from engine area and first thought is turbo. Cant say for sure it effects performance since such short duration. First post and forgive me if this has been discussed in previous threads but can't seem to find same issue. I'm even considering extended warranty out of fear it may be turbos. Thanks for ANY input! making me very nervous.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Richbrid
My 2014 XLT SC 4X4 3.5 ecoboost bought with 18K made a "Honking" sound when hard acceleration. Only couple times and of course could not duplicate for dealer. Now at 40k miles it seems to be more frequent. Only lasts for about 1 second and truly sounds like a low pitch goose call. definitely from engine area and first thought is turbo. Cant say for sure it effects performance since such short duration. First post and forgive me if this has been discussed in previous threads but can't seem to find same issue. I'm even considering extended warranty out of fear it may be turbos. Thanks for ANY input! making me very nervous.
You are going "holy chit" this F150 is fast, grabbing the steering wheel hard and pushing on the horn without even knowing it, lol.

But for real, no clue.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM

I wish! actually the only thing I've experienced that I don't love about the 3.5EB.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Only "During" acceleration, or immediately when you let off?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 PM

ONLY when hard acceleration causing downshift. As soon as I push gas hard as shifting occurs this short low pitch screech happens. Almost duration and volume of short belt squeal but not belt. Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

ONLY when hard acceleration causing downshift. As soon as I push gas hard as shifting occurs this short low pitch screech happens. Almost duration and volume of short belt squeal but not belt. Thanks
I don't know then, I was thinking blow off valve. Maybe the tires?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you checked belts tension and condition? Could be belt squeal...there are 2 belts.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Dealer claimed blow off was checked when had in at 20k miles. I've since checked belts numerous times when i hear it. Thanks for the input guys, it's a sound I've never heard in automotive side. (30 years in industrial automation and engineering) where nothing surprised me. It certainly seems friction related but if bearing or seal I'd think i would have some other symptom/failure by now. Belt theory really was my first since seems more prevalent in damp conditions. Guess I'm gonna put mic under hood so dealer can hear. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust manifold

Dealer claimed blow off was checked when had in at 20k miles. I've since checked belts numerous times when i hear it. Thanks for the input guys, it's a sound I've never heard in automotive side. (30 years in industrial automation and engineering) where nothing surprised me. It certainly seems friction related but if bearing or seal I'd think i would have some other symptom/failure by now. Belt theory really was my first since seems more prevalent in damp conditions. Guess I'm gonna put mic under hood so dealer can hear. Thanks again.
This happened on my 11 F150, it starts as a squeek, then becomes louder. You're exhaust manifold (s) are warping. It happens in cold weather, they heat differently than the Al head, breaks off studs in the heads. I replaced the right side as it was loudest, test drive, it was obvious the left was doing it too. It can be done with a lot of twisting and contorting. Only had to remove the inner fenders. I had two broken studs on the left side, had someone come remove them. Parts are a little north of $120 per side. It will begin to rob turbo pressure. Dealer changed belt, tensioner and alternator, it sure sounded like a belt. I think they were waiting for it to go out of warranty, jerks.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Well that seems a likely explanation and would explain not noticeable performance change.....YET!! I really appreciate the feedback and am very impressed at the knowledge shared here. I'll be having preventive done soon and am going to have them check the manifolds.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost "Honking"