General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle can paint job discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Rattle can paint job discussion

Well been pretty inactive for a while due to college but now that its summer to do some serious stuff to the truck!! I will be going military reserves before the end of this summer, and the truck could use a paint job so Naturally my inner redneck said to go CAMO!! But It's really not much of a hunting truck since well I don't hunt. But it does go through the woods and through fields of brush quite often Hence the bed lined rockers. Anyway as long as the pictures upload accordingly I'm hoping to get something along the lines of either traditional digital camo or digital arctic camo. Anyone know an easier way I could accomplish this without resorting to a wrap. I've seen some of the websites with small printable stencils but I'm still not sure that's the best way to do it. Also anyone with experience painting what am I going up against here?
Attached Thumbnails Rattle can paint job discussion-img_0957.jpg   Rattle can paint job discussion-snowcamo2.jpg   Rattle can paint job discussion-snowcamo4.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

i think a camo that would actually work would be a better look than an artic pattern, a good example is this truck-he wrapped it and it turned out great with a very good pattern

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/showem-...782/index1782/
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 PM

That looks great!! Only problem is they dont have digital and I really have my mind set on digital camo to go with the black bedliner trim. Not to mention the wrap for my size truck starts at $960 but with a rattle can job i can probably do it all for about $150. Ill go to the scrap yard and find a hood that matches this body style to try out and use some printable stencils.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Rattle can paint comes in so many types and brands you'll need to choose carefully. Many home center brands will fade within a year. Using automotive sprays is your best bet but they will set you back $8.50 a can. (20 or 30 cans) A quart of auto paint is $100 so if you use 4 colors you're looking at $400 plus primer. Bottom line if you don't care how it will hold up go to Home Depot and use the $4 a can paint. Remember you get what you pay for. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts

just remember to use clear to seal it all up, and you could always plasti dip it if that's an option
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Plastidip might be the best option so I can peel off any mistake had not thought of that thanks!
As for how well it'll hold up the toolbox I painted this time last year with rustoleum bed liner and some krylon red spray paint is holding up perfectly fine with one coat of clear. Of course when it comes down to the actual paint on the vehicle it would get multiple coats of clear instead of just one. And alot more prep work than just a wash and light sanding.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 PM
DTH

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Your wasting your time and money with rattle cans, your truck will look like a rust bucket in less than a year.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It's paint. It's the same stuff you get in the gallon cans. My Blazer is rattle canned and still looks good a year later. Try waxing it every once in a while dude.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Actually rattle can paint is different than regular automotive paint. The regular auto paint won't spray thru the rattle can nozzle. Only reason I know this is I have had to fix my kids cars a few times after a fender bender. Ill get a color matched can or two mixed at an auto paint supply and they always tell me it won't match perfect cause its different than the paint for a spray gun. They never say one has inferior quality. Its like acrylic vs ???.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

All paint is different, it won't match. It's a blend of pigments and chemicals, it will never be a 100% perfect match.

Quick Reply: Rattle can paint job discussion