General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Question about Tires

Hi new to the forums, but I had a question. I have a 98 F150. I only use the truck on weekends with the kids. I might also pick up some stuff on craigslist (treadmills etc) or some soil, mulch from home depot. Would I be okay with getting passenger tires instead of Light Truck Tires? I see that pepboys have some passenger tires $90 each 265/70/17 with good reviews. Please help. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

P stands for P Metric.
LT stands for Light Truck.

LT tires are mainly for super duty type trucks. Most F150’s come with a P Metric tire. That said, you’ll be fine with a P Metric. Only a few F150s came stock with an LT. You’d likely have the 7700 package if that were the case.
The following users liked this post:
berto0 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes. The vast majority of F150s are built with passenger rated tires. You can take a look at the yellow sticker inside the driver's door. If the recommended tire pressure is in the 30s (32 or 35), the truck was manufactured with P rated tires. If the pressure is in the 40s (44), it came equipped with LT tires.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

you give very little info....what kinda cab, how many kids, is the wife with you & what amount of weight you are putting in the shopping cart etc.
My 1st guess is standard P metric tires are TOO small for your load.....You should @ least buy the same tire size but with the XL rating....
These tires carry more weight & thou look the same as P metric; you can pump them up to 44 lbs air pressure to safely carry your load.

Generally speaking tire shops advertise their best price on most tire sizes but it will not really work on your application.....
but as you are in the door know, this is what you need!!

Last edited by maco; 03-28-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: info added
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 PM

Question

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
Yes. The vast majority of F150s are built with passenger rated tires. You can take a look at the yellow sticker inside the driver's door. If the recommended tire pressure is in the 30s (32 or 35), the truck was manufactured with P rated tires. If the pressure is in the 40s (44), it came equipped with LT tires.
"
Sorry bud What you say above is not true!! "XL" rated tires carry a maximum of 44lbs & look much like P metrics....LT tires can be either be "C" "D" or "E" rated & carry more load with 60 to 80 lbs in them...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 PM

I went to go look, this is what it says. Thanks
Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Look at it this way. A P265/70/17 is rated at 2679 lbs per tire. You could have 10,716 lbs on the tires and not overload them. Most F-150's have a GVWR of 7000-7300 lbs. Even the heavy duty payload packages are less than 8000 GVWR. An F250 could have a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and E rated tires are needed for that much weight.

There is no reason to go to LT tires unless you just want to as far as carrying loads. LT tires are tougher, and less susceptible to damage if driven off road in rocky, rough terrain and I'd advise them on 4X4's used off road.

And not all LT's are the same. An E rated LT tire would have 3195 lbs rating per tire. But a D rated LT tire is rated for exactly the same load as a P series tire. The C rated LT tires are rated for less weight than P series tires. The C rated tires are really meant for light SUV's such as Jeep Wranglers who don't carry much weight, but need a tougher tire for off road driving.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by berto0

I went to go look, this is what it says. Thanks
your total weigh t(6250lbs) add the weight of your trk. + any load you put in it!!....This of course includes all the kids, you & the wife gas tank full etc....add something for any extra use...a load of dirt/washer even a fridge etc......in general allow for everything you would normally carry & then still have buffer weight for like a fridge/freezer or dirt that you will only haul a few times a year....it makes a big difference if you are maxed out weight wise going on a longer trip @ freeway speeds versus going 10-20 blocks or so @ city speeds with your load of dirt..........Then decide what tire you need............It sounds to me like the P metric tire would probably work 90% of the time.
Only you can decide if you need more tire & you buy say the XL rated tire....
Warning I personally would put @ least 35 lbs in each tire with everybody in it.....
32lbs as stated on you sticker is for a nice soft ride.....read the.tire sidewall & it will say 35lbs max air pressure & I'll bet you won't notice any harder ride...
berto0 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:01 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I just recently got this truck and it's my first truck. I always had small cars. I didn't think so many things would go into choosing tires for a truck.

Originally Posted by maco
your total weigh t(6250lbs) add the weight of your trk. + any load you put in it!!....This of course includes all the kids, you & the wife gas tank full etc....add something for any extra use...a load of dirt/washer even a fridge etc......in general allow for everything you would normally carry & then still have buffer weight for like a fridge/freezer or dirt that you will only haul a few times a year....it makes a big difference if you are maxed out weight wise going on a longer trip @ freeway speeds versus going 10-20 blocks or so @ city speeds with your load of dirt..........Then decide what tire you need............It sounds to me like the P metric tire would probably work 90% of the time.
Only you can decide if you need more tire & you buy say the XL rated tire....
Warning I personally would put @ least 35 lbs in each tire with everybody in it.....
32lbs as stated on you sticker is for a nice soft ride.....read the.tire sidewall & it will say 35lbs max air pressure & I'll bet you won't notice any harder ride...
maco (03-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Question about Tires