General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCO (Private Cash Offer) Question - Here is my scenario

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Default PCO (Private Cash Offer) Question - Here is my scenario

This may have been answered elsewhere, but I fail to find it with a forum search.

I have already negotiated a price with a dealer for a 2018 'Custom Ordered' F150. The truck is 'in production' now and should be delivered within 2 weeks. I just received a PCO (Private Cash Offer) from Ford Motor Co for $3,000 thanks to the assistance of a kind gentleman on this forum. My question relates to how this would be received by my salesman / dealer where I purchased the truck. Following are the details:
  • Price of a custom configured truck was negotiated with dealer for a 2018 Ford F150 Lariat
  • There are no indications or notes on the emailed document he sent me outlining the 'build' and discounts, that he gave me any kind of A/Z/D plan.... at least not that I can determine. These plans seem to be the one thing that would render the offer void.
  • Truck was custom ordered and I placed $500 down for a goodwill deposit
  • A VIN # has been generated for my vehicle - not sure if this VIN # has been sent to the salesman/dealer yet.... to show that the vehicle is 'in stock' even though it has not arrived at the dealership yet.
QUESTIONS:
  1. How can I confirm that this $3,000 PCO (Private Cash Offer) from Ford is indeed valid for my custom build, and ensure that the salesman/dealer must accept it ON TOP of the negotiated price/discounts?
  2. How and when should I present my salesman with this discount certificate / code ?
  3. Is there any reason why the salesman / dealer might want to 'fight' this discount certificate or claim it is not compatible with the negotiated deal?
Thanks.

Last edited by Joe Friday; 08-20-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
How can I confirm that this $3,000 PCO (Private Cash Offer) from Ford is indeed valid for my custom build, and ensure that the salesman/dealer must accept it ON TOP of the negotiated price/discounts?Thanks.
Call Ford Marketing to confirm the CPO is valid, in your name, with your address. 1-800-392-3673. They can confirm if the CPO is valid for a purchase. They can search by your name, or the certificate number. When I had a CPO, they did not "see" it in the Vincent system by my name, but when they looked up the cert number, they confirmed it was valid. I also used this for my custom ordered truck. Didn't have it when the truck was ordered, brought it with me the day I went to pick up the truck.

How and when should I present my salesman with this discount certificate / code ?
Thanks.
Bring the certificate in with you when you go to pick up the truck.

Is there any reason why the salesman / dealer might want to 'fight' this discount certificate or claim it is not compatible with the negotiated deal?Thanks.
There is no valid reason the dealer would argue or fight about this discount. The discount does not come of their total take, that $3k comes right from Ford.. Whatever you negotiated, that $3k means nothing to the dealer's profit one bit. The only reason they might fight it is if in fact the deal you have is based on some kind of plan, A,Z,X, etc. They aren't allowed to process the certificate if that pricing was used, so their "fight" would just be because they couldn't give you that certificate because Ford would deny the payment to them. But as you noted, since it is not, there should be no reason to fight it.

Also note, the salesman gets a bonus on top of the $3k you get from Ford. Not sure the exact amount, but talked to my sales guy when we were processing the certificate and he showed me there was an additional bonus he got because I had a certificate. So for the dealer, it really means a bonus to the salesguy, and Ford pays them the $3k. They might whine a little if they did all the paperwork first, then you dropped the cert, but hey, too bad.

The following 2 users liked this post by gingrbredman:
JessR (08-21-2018), Joe Friday (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Awesome! Thank you for that information - that helps out tremendously.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by gingrbredman
Call Ford Marketing to confirm the CPO is valid, in your name, with your address. 1-800-392-3673. They can confirm if the CPO is valid for a purchase. They can search by your name, or the certificate number. When I had a CPO, they did not "see" it in the Vincent system by my name, but when they looked up the cert number, they confirmed it was valid. I also used this for my custom ordered truck. Didn't have it when the truck was ordered, brought it with me the day I went to pick up the truck.

Bring the certificate in with you when you go to pick up the truck.

There is no valid reason the dealer would argue or fight about this discount. The discount does not come of their total take, that $3k comes right from Ford.. Whatever you negotiated, that $3k means nothing to the dealer's profit one bit. The only reason they might fight it is if in fact the deal you have is based on some kind of plan, A,Z,X, etc. They aren't allowed to process the certificate if that pricing was used, so their "fight" would just be because they couldn't give you that certificate because Ford would deny the payment to them. But as you noted, since it is not, there should be no reason to fight it.

Also note, the salesman gets a bonus on top of the $3k you get from Ford. Not sure the exact amount, but talked to my sales guy when we were processing the certificate and he showed me there was an additional bonus he got because I had a certificate. So for the dealer, it really means a bonus to the salesguy, and Ford pays them the $3k. They might whine a little if they did all the paperwork first, then you dropped the cert, but hey, too bad.
Is there any reason why I should not present this to the salesman now, as opposed to dropping it on his lap the day I pick up the truck? They have a VIN number already assigned and it should be finished in production by today, I would think..... it went into production last Thursday or Friday, and my understanding is that it only takes about 20 hours to complete a truck.

I just want to be sure in advance that the salesman didn't give me 'X' plan pricing somehow...

​​​​​​​Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

Is there any reason why I should not present this to the salesman now, as opposed to dropping it on his lap the day I pick up the truck? They have a VIN number already assigned and it should be finished in production by today, I would think..... it went into production last Thursday or Friday, and my understanding is that it only takes about 20 hours to complete a truck.

I just want to be sure in advance that the salesman didn't give me 'X' plan pricing somehow...

Thanks again.
No, there should be no reason you can't give him the cert info now, and confirm all the pricing to be sure. If you have all your paperwork to show the agreement, the $3k certificate just updates that and they can have the paperwork ready.

But, just because the truck only takes 20 hours to build, you could be waiting weeks for the truck still. After production, there is usually a long lead time for logistics, so would check the Cotus website to see what your estimated delivery date is. They are usually "close", but some have experienced more extreme delays.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by gingrbredman
No, there should be no reason you can't give him the cert info now, and confirm all the pricing to be sure. If you have all your paperwork to show the agreement, the $3k certificate just updates that and they can have the paperwork ready.

But, just because the truck only takes 20 hours to build, you could be waiting weeks for the truck still. After production, there is usually a long lead time for logistics, so would check the Cotus website to see what your estimated delivery date is. They are usually "close", but some have experienced more extreme delays.
Thanks Gingrbredman - - I just spoke to my salesman and he seemed happy to add that to my discount. He acted like it wouldn't be a problem at all...and asked me to send it to him so he could verify the code and put it in my file.
The following users liked this post:
JessR (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information here, thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear. I am in almost the exact same situation. I contacted my dealer today with my PCO number but haven’t heard back yet. Sounds like there should be no issue at all, but still minorly concerned it will be an issue. None of my rebates or discounts were plans
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Confirmed my PCO was 'good to go' with my salesman today! Thanks to Wickel for his generous offer of time and information. You deserve a forum medal of honor.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone help?

i placed an order on a truck today, i got the PCO last night, should i show my dealer the PCO now? Its most likely the truck won't be delivered before it expires(i hear it takes at least 8 week for an order to be delivered) so will the dealer accept it now and honor it if the truck comes after 10/1?

Quick Reply: PCO (Private Cash Offer) Question - Here is my scenario