General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paypal Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Paypal Scam?

So I'm trying to buy something from a member of another forum and they sent me a paypal request and this is what I get

1st is my email.
2nd is my paypal, showing no request
3rd is the link as click in my email.

I'm wondering if it's a phishing scam. Everything seems legit in the email until I click the link (I have not entered my information in) or when I manually log into paypal it doesn't show up.
Attached Thumbnails Paypal Scam?-untitled.jpg   Paypal Scam?-untitled1.jpg   Paypal Scam?-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by mechanicboy; 10-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Hard to buy anything that isn't face to face with cash now-a-days Even if they send you a check, they have over 2 weeks for it clear. It may show up in your account but the bank can still take funds back.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Don't use a link. Type in the Paypal website and log into your account. If the request is legit, it should show there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Franchi Motorsports:
Apples (06-22-2017), Wanted33 (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 02:23 PM

I think it's a scam. I just had the old lady send me a request and it says her name instead of "notification" in the subject line and the inside of the email looks totally different. When I log into my paypal it shows a request from her. I'm going to report this to paypal and see what they say.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM
THUNDER UP!

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchi Motorsports
Don't use a link. Type in the Paypal website and log into your account. If the request is legit, it should show there.
This.

Don't use the link to put in info. Go to Paypal and if it's legit, it will show on there- proceed as normal once it appears there
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
I think it's a scam. I just had the old lady send me a request and it says her name instead of "notification" in the subject line and the inside of the email looks totally different. When I log into my paypal it shows a request from her. I'm going to report this to paypal and see what they say.
Second pic shows the address bar as green (secure) and third pic does not, but I also noticed it says mobile.paypal.com so I think that may be why. Also says https at beginning of the address in there which I believe means it's a secure website, so I'm not sure what to make of it...
Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just found this:

http://sites.udel.edu/phishing/2013/03/14/paypal-scam/

All of the links in the email are the same. Therefore, no matter where you click you’ll end up right where the scammers want you to be. PayPal’s email address in the “From” section is NOT a PayPal email. Typically, email from PayPal use service@paypal.com or member@paypal.com [see image #1] A PayPal receipt always includes the recipient’s shipping address. However, in this example, the scammers only included the seller’s shipping address. [see image #2] A big warning sign should be the product listed as purchased. If you know you didn’t buy it–or spend that much money on anything using PayPal–or don’t even have a PayPal account, be weary of anything inside of that email. PayPal will use your name in the email when addressing you (i.e. “Hello Jane Smith”–not your email address). The information in the footer of the email is different from the information PayPal uses in the footer of their transaction receipt emails. [see image #3 for the CORRECT footer info.]

I would run a spyware scan just in case since you clicked the link. I recommend spybot search and destroy, it's free and effective

Last edited by muffins; 10-26-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM

IT'S A SCAM! Paypal confirmed that if I had entered my information there they would have had full access to my account.

Just so you guys know, it's Roberto Moncada, or KBSVTCOBRA from the SVTperformance forum. Do NOT buy from him. I'm reporting him to the moderators over there.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 10-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
I think it's a scam.

There are no scams on the internet.

As a few others said never ever click any hyperlinks in e-mails even if it looks like someone you know, their systems can get compromised. Don't even click the links to investigate if it's a scam or not, you could get a script/Trojan depending how secure your browser and system is and now you've go a keylogger on your system. Play it safe.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Bump

Quick Reply: Paypal Scam?