General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter mess

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil filter mess

Does anyone else have any troubles getting the oil filters out without them dripping and spilling all over the floor. I had a heck of a time yesterday changing the oil on my freestar and my f-150. It is tough trying to get a filter wrench in there to take them off because there is no where to reach up for leverage. It is one thing I don't like about fords. The oil filter location is horrible. I never had a ford that wasn't a pain to change oil on. They always seem to be located above a part of the frame or suspension parts and then it drips all over the place when you do get it loose. I figured on saving some money by doing it myself but I still end up will oil on the floor either way. What ever shop I take my cars to are not going to wipe the oil off the frame anyhow and it still ends up on my garage floor.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:09 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fords are not the only make with this problem. I really don't think the engineers really care about oil changes. If you can somehow get the filter off and replaced, that is all that matters to them.

You could always place a shop rag on the frame/suspension parts the get the oil drip on them. As well as a drip pan of some sort to keep you garage floor clean. Kitty litter also does wonders for oil drips.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

there's also the choice of installing an oil filter relocation kit. it moves you're oil filter from it's stock location to a more accessable spot. and it adds a little more oil to you're system, because now it takes more oil to fill the system. i personally have not used one or know anyone that has, but i've seen them advertised. just throwing it out there.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 super
there's also the choice of installing an oil filter relocation kit. it moves you're oil filter from it's stock location to a more accessable spot. and it adds a little more oil to you're system, because now it takes more oil to fill the system. i personally have not used one or know anyone that has, but i've seen them advertised. just throwing it out there.
That is a very viable option, of course!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 AM
mmmm.....

hmm.. ive never had any problems with the oil. just put a pan down and wipe off the oil.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Talking

I just changed my oil yesterday and it was the most messy oil change I've ever seen/done. I actually bought one of those small strap wrenchs to get the filter off. Thankfully the k&n replacement filter has the 1" nut on top so getting the new one in and tight was a breeze...as getting it off will be. But when it comes time to change again, I think there's just enough room to get a small shallow bowl up in there to cut down on the mess when I pull the filter.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM
mmmm.....

in and tight?? that scares me...
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Talking

um, I guess you're used to in & loose? Sounds like a personal problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 PM
mmmm.....

ha ha ha. quit talking about your girlfriend like that.

but your only supposed to go until the seal hits and then a 1/4 turn past that. not "in and tight"
Old 03-22-2008, 02:40 PM

i cant say about the freestar but my 08 f150 with 4.6 is actually pretty easy to get to... i mean i dont have to jack up truck and oil wrench goes right on it... but you may have a different engine.. Now I did have a mazda that had a 2.3 4 cylinder and it isnt what id call difficult but it wasnt the funnest thing i had to do either. It was funny cause every time i changed oil there would always be some sparks coming out of somewhere due to all kinds of crap.

Quick Reply: oil filter mess