General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some advice

I currently drive an 06 4x4 F-150, regular cab xl with the 4.6L v8. I have had the truck since early 07 with 8500 miles (now over 75000). This truck has treated me amazingly and I have returned the favor. I have put a lot into doing all appropriate and recommended maintenance, and then some. I am part of a landscaping company, so my truck has been a combination work truck/play truck. Our company is growing, and so are the demands for my truck. Since the beginning, the only complaint I have had is the lack of interior seating. Just this week we sold our current trailer, and ordered a brand new enclosed trailer (which I will be driving to Georgia to pick up). The new trailer is 8.5' x 20', and has an empty weight of about 3500 pounds. Add to this all of our machines (mowers, edgers, trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, etc.), sprinkler equipment, ladders, climbing equipment, wheelbarrow, pressure cleaner, rakes, shovels, hoses, and numerous other things I cant think of. I have a feeling that this might put a big strain on my 150 when it comes to 10-12 hours a days of work, at least 5 days a week. I found an 05 F-350 that looks to be in very good condition, which I think I can push for an even trade. It has the 6.0 turbo diesel, so I have my reservations. It also has 165k on it, which could be a good thing in respect to getting the wrinkles ironed out in terms of engine trouble. I would appreciate any advice on the situation, as well as input regarding the potentially new truck.

My current setup:

(Maybe) new truck:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Thank you for taking your time to read through this, and any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redefinition1
I currently drive an 06 4x4 F-150, regular cab xl with the 4.6L v8. I have had the truck since early 07 with 8500 miles (now over 75000). This truck has treated me amazingly and I have returned the favor. I have put a lot into doing all appropriate and recommended maintenance, and then some. I am part of a landscaping company, so my truck has been a combination work truck/play truck. Our company is growing, and so are the demands for my truck. Since the beginning, the only complaint I have had is the lack of interior seating. Just this week we sold our current trailer, and ordered a brand new enclosed trailer (which I will be driving to Georgia to pick up). The new trailer is 8.5' x 20', and has an empty weight of about 3500 pounds. Add to this all of our machines (mowers, edgers, trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, etc.), sprinkler equipment, ladders, climbing equipment, wheelbarrow, pressure cleaner, rakes, shovels, hoses, and numerous other things I cant think of. I have a feeling that this might put a big strain on my 150 when it comes to 10-12 hours a days of work, at least 5 days a week. I found an 05 F-350 that looks to be in very good condition, which I think I can push for an even trade. It has the 6.0 turbo diesel, so I have my reservations. It also has 165k on it, which could be a good thing in respect to getting the wrinkles ironed out in terms of engine trouble. I would appreciate any advice on the situation, as well as input regarding the potentially new truck.

My current setup:

(Maybe) new truck:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Thank you for taking your time to read through this, and any input will be greatly appreciated.
The F350 looks clean. By 2005 they had cleaned up most of the major problems with the 6.0L. The only problem that remained was that the egr cooler liked to go out around 100k but since that truck has 165k it was probably repaired a while back. You probably would be putting a bit of stress towing over 5k with the f150 on such a regular basis. If you can get the even trade, I say go for it. But drive the truck first, and if your gut tells you no, then walk away.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply - I'm on the same page. I will get the history of the truck, which should give me a better idea of exactly whats going on. Looking forward to more input. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:39 AM

I am looking to make this trade on Tuesday, so any thoughts or input that might help steer me in the right direction are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redefinition1
I am looking to make this trade on Tuesday, so any thoughts or input that might help steer me in the right direction are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
No problem. I'd want to pay more like 12500 for that 350 though.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Yea, I feel I will be able to bargain a bit for the 350. My truck is kinda scratched up thanks to work, so I am pretty sure I will be able to go for the even swap. Thanks again, and I am still looking forward to others' opinions on the matter. I have one day left before I go, so time is running out. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need some advice