General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual shifter arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual shifter arm removal

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to remove the shifter arm on a 97 f150 w/standard transmission mazda M50D. I am taking out the transmission to replace the hydraulic slave cylinder on the clutch... anyway, there is a coupling about 3 inches above the floor with a 2-1/2 inch metric stud or bolt with no head perpendicular to the arm. It's either a pinch bolt or acting as a key, to hold the arm secure. I found 2 metric nuts, and jammed them together to act as a bolt head to turn the thing out, it didn't work. I heated it up with a propane torch, it didn't help? Is there a key or something I'm missing?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If it's the same as my '96 M5OD then you need to take the nut off the one side of the shifter bolt. You then put the nut on the other side and tighten it. That will pull the bolt off the shifter.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Default f150 shifter removal

Thanks Sean. That worked for me. Without forums like this I could be stuck on these seemingly simple problems for inordinate time. Yet a couple minutes after doing a search I had my answer. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Welcome to the site! And thanks for searching.

Feel free to stick around, you'll learn a lot about your truck.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost my slave cylinder at 80K miles... then the throwout bearing at 95K miles. My only complaint about the M5R2 is that Ford could've used better components in the clutch system, including the disk itself. I got the truck at 67K miles when I turned 16 and now I'm at 125K. My second OE clutch is warped and my 4th gear syncros are acting up. Still works though.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM

It should be quite easy if its like mine. Take the nut off the side it is on. Put it on the other side of the bolt and tighten it down. By doing so you will be pulling the stud toward the other side. At some point you will find it gets loose and you will be able to pull off the shifter.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After you take the transmission out a few times it gets pretty easy. Since I last posted on this thread I've put another 11K miles on the truck, 2k miles ago I lost the slave for the second time since I bought the truck. So the transmission came out at 80k miles for the slave, 95k miles for the throwout bearing, and 134k miles for the slave again. The reason I continue to float the gears...haha.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 AM

Default My Shifter is stuck to the stub Please Help

I know this is an old thread, but as stated in the above posts, I removed the bolt at the base of the shifter, and it is still stuck to the stub. Has anyone have this happen? I have been tring to remove the shifter noy hor three days, sprayed it down a lot with PB Blaster still will not come off. I am concerned about using heat.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 AM

Default shifter arm removal

Fatboy,
I don't know if you got a chance to read the older posts but as I recall the secret to getting the shifter off the transmission is to take the nut off the one side of the bolt and put it on the other side. Then tighten it down against the shifter and as you tighten it the bolt will be pulled toward the nut. Ultimately as I recall the bolt is wedge shaped and as you pull it one way it loosens up. Just keep in mind its not about how hard you work it. I know I have not given you very detailed information but hopefully I have given you enough that you will look at this problem in a new light. Once you figure it out you will see how easy and innovative this design is. Good luck.

Quick Reply: manual shifter arm removal