Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Riding In The South

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default loose steering

i hear alot of yall tlaking about adjusting the gearbox is that bad if you do that and how do you adjust it cause i can turn my wheel a good lil bit without it doing anythign
Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not touch the steering box. Check the idler, and the tie rods. Jack up one side of the front and support it. Try to turn the wheel left to right. It should be tight and not want to turn as the other wheel that is on the ground is stopping it. If it moves lower the truck and get under it and push and pull at the tie rods. Check the idler arm for any play. If you pull on the drag link you can if the idler arm or the pitman is loose.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Riding In The South

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJMC
Do not touch the steering box. Check the idler, and the tie rods. Jack up one side of the front and support it. Try to turn the wheel left to right. It should be tight and not want to turn as the other wheel that is on the ground is stopping it. If it moves lower the truck and get under it and push and pull at the tie rods. Check the idler arm for any play. If you pull on the drag link you can if the idler arm or the pitman is loose.

I already replaced all tie rods, ball joints upper and lower adn idler arm there is still play in my steering
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by BroganF150
I already replaced all tie rods, ball joints upper and lower adn idler arm there is still play in my steering
Pitman arm and steering shaft are all that are left.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm not sure if your truck is the same as my older one, but even the Chevys are the same. There is a threaded stud sticking out of the top of the steering box with a nut on it that locks it from turning. The threaded shaft should have an allen or torx hole in it. You hold the shaft with the allen and loosen the nut enough to adjust. Tighten the shaft to tighten the steering, and when you're done hold the shaft and tighten the nut. Don't go too tight or steering gear damage may result. Once the shaft starts to get tight back off it a little and lock it down. If the steering wheel doesn't return on its own after a turn then the shaft is too tight.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 AM

If your steering gear box is loose enough that you turn the wheel a good lil bit without it doing anythign then you need a new box.
To measure the gear mesh load you have to center the wheel, seperate the pitman arm from the drag link, remove the air bag on the steering wheel and put a torque wrench on the nut and measure the torque required to turn the wheel. 12-16 inch lbs is the speck. To adjust the meshload on the steering gear box you loosen the nut and turn on the steering box the sector shaft. Be sure to hold the sector shaft or it will turn with the nut. Torque for the nut is 20-25 ft/lbs. The sector shaft in on the top of the box. The other end of it has the pitman arm attached to it. It is perpendicular to the steering column.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
We'd do it

Originally Posted by TheJMC
If your steering gear box is loose enough that you turn the wheel a good lil bit without it doing anythign then you need a new box.
To measure the gear mesh load you have to center the wheel, seperate the pitman arm from the drag link, remove the air bag on the steering wheel and put a torque wrench on the nut and measure the torque required to turn the wheel. 12-16 inch lbs is the speck. To adjust the meshload on the steering gear box you loosen the nut and turn on the steering box the sector shaft. Be sure to hold the sector shaft or it will turn with the nut. Torque for the nut is 20-25 ft/lbs. The sector shaft in on the top of the box. The other end of it has the pitman arm attached to it. It is perpendicular to the steering column.

Not everyone does everything exactly by the book. He just wants to tighten up the box a bit. I've done this on different vehicles and didn't have to waste money on a new box. It's just important that the box isn't overtightened.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM

To each his own. I don't take chances with steering components. I all boils down to how you quantify "a good lil bit".

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
We'd do it

Don't get me wrong, your instructions are great but if it was bad to adjust the box then why is there an adjustment screw on it?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM

It is not bad to adjust the box but a normal steering box doesn't go from tight to "a good lil bit" just like that. That is why I suggested to not touch the box but to look for the other things first. Then when they all check then look at the box. If you go playing at the box and it turns out that the pitman arm is what was fubar'd then you worked on the box for nothing.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: loose steering