General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used F150 for my Dad w/ ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Looking at used F150 for my Dad w/ ?'s

Hey guys! Haven't been around the forum for a while but have always enjoyed it and usually got great info here. I'm in a pickle and could use some advice and/or tips once again.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to look at a 2012 F150, XLT SCREW ECO for my dad. He will be purchasing the truck (maybe of course), but I will be going to give it the shake or nod. The reason for this, is that the truck is here in Dallas and my dad lives in TN.

Kind of a big chunk of responsibility to look at a vehicle for someone else, let alone your father. I've been looking online for things to check when buying used vehicles, but everything I can find is pretty generic and common since stuff like checking tires, rust, etc.

I guess my concern would be, whether the truck was used as a work horse for it's entire life or was it mostly a grocery getter. I certainly don't want to give the thumbs up to a truck for my dad, and then have it turn out to have been run into the ground by the previous owner.

I need to lean on the experience of you guys for what to look for specifically. I have never owned a turbo charged vehicle, so is there anything additional I should be looking for in that regard?

So far we have just checked the CARFAX report, and the truck has no reported accidents (but that doesn't really tell me if it was used to tow mobile homes)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, the more specific the better. Thanks in advance- James
Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

If you have a code scanner that will tell you pending codes I would suggest taking that and giving it a run down. Also keep in mind that carfax only reports what is reported to them. My 03 Ranger was sideswiped in 2004 and that repair wasn't in carfax for it at all. Neither was any of the work I had done at the dealership.

Get the VIN number and check it against NICB vin check

Other than that it's the usual. Drive it and see if you hear or see any problems.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Aragorn
If you have a code scanner that will tell you pending codes I would suggest taking that and giving it a run down. Also keep in mind that carfax only reports what is reported to them. My 03 Ranger was sideswiped in 2004 and that repair wasn't in carfax for it at all. Neither was any of the work I had done at the dealership.

Get the VIN number and check it against NICB vin check

Other than that it's the usual. Drive it and see if you hear or see any problems.
I almost bought a SUV for the wife 2 years ago that had a spotless CarFax report. During the test drive, something just didn't feel right. Looked underneath, and poorly repaired found frame damage from a rear end collision that was not reported to CarFax.

I'd say just be really thorough on your test drive and inspection. You could also get an extended warranty pretty cheap. I got a 4 yr/48000 mile warranty for about $32 extra a month.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

On a nearly 6 year old truck with the first generation EcoBoost engine, I would definitely be pricing out some extended warranty plans. Consider that with your purchase.

I'd check the frame. If it's rusty/muddy then walk away because the prior owner didn't wash it which means they likely didn't care for anything else either.

I'd check service records. Did it have frequent oil changes at a reputable facility? Has it had the recalls performed at a dealership?

I'd look down both sides of the body for signs of painting/repair. Check the front and rear frame horns to make sure they're straight as an arrow. Accidents in the past will leave clues.

Drive it and make sure the t-case shifts normally, the transmission has no slipping or harsh shifts, the rear end make no whining noises.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

You could also get an extended warranty pretty cheap. I got a 4 yr/48000 mile warranty for about $32 extra a month
For how long? $32 per month over a 60 year loan is damn near $2k, 48 year is over $1500. I wouldn't exactly call that cheap.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
I'd look down both sides of the body for signs of painting/repair. Check the front and rear frame horns to make sure they're straight as an arrow. Accidents in the past will leave clues.
check the door and hood jambs for tape lines/overspray as well.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

have them put it on a rack and visually inspect it.

or take it to independent mechanic for a couple hundred $
Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Used ECO ? I wouldn't touch it with any ones wallet.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Have complete new suspension ,brakes take off 2014 everything

I had a airbag conversion done to allow my frame to sit on the ground so I could get in as I am a paralyzed vet..we took off every single suspension part. Complete braking system ,& then modded the engine & have new stock exhaust air filter intercooler you name it all have less than 15 miles on it..truck is a 2014 parts have been stored in a Air conditioning garage..so if you get a 09-2014 let me know as I d sell it all cheap just to get it out & make room.email me if interested.even have rotor & new calipers in the front ..I put a big brake system on the front ..thanks
markimm@rocketmail.com