Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit Voiding Powertrain Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Lift Kit Voiding Powertrain Warranty?

Hey everybody,

I brought my 2012 FX4 5.0 (6-inch lift, 35's, 20x12's) in to the dealer to have them check out an engine ticking noise. They found out that the engine was misfiring in cylinder #1, there was scoring in cylinders #1 and #2, and there was sand in the engine and intake (no idea how that got there, I don't go off-road EVER).

The warranty company sent an adjustor out on Tuesday to check it out. On Wednesday, the Ford service rep called and asked for all my service records and all the shops that I've had maintenance done. The only reasons my truck has ever been serviced is for oil changes and brake pads and rotors. On Thursday, the service rep called and told me that the warranty company would not cover any damages to the truck because of the lift and wheels.

Now my question is, how can a lift and wheels cause that engine damage? I understand that a lift kit, bigger tires, and larger rims can add extra weight causing the engine to work a little harder. But what about towing a trailer, camper, or boat? Those things are a little heavier than a lift kit, wheels, and tires.

Also, doesn't the dealer/warranty company have to prove that the modifications caused the said damage? At least that's what I've read from the Magnusson-Moss Act.

Nowhere in my warranty contract does it state that I cannot modify the vehicle. Although, I would understand them voiding my warranty if I had done any engine modifications.....but I haven't!

Anyway, just a couple questions for everyone on here.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

They can not do that.. fight it. The lift and wheels and tires have nothing to do with the mis-fires. Did you install the lift and wheels before or after you purchased the warranty? Read up on the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act.

Last edited by techrep; 11-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Aspiring Banhammerator

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Who is the 'warranty company'? Sounds like an outside warranty you're describing, not factory Ford powertrain warranty.

It is true that *most* basic modifications should not affect factory warranty coverage unless the issue can be linked to the mods in any way. I can tell you from experience Ford will look for any reason to reject a warranty claim, unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
They can not do that.. fight it. The lift and wheels and tires have nothing to do with the mis-fires. Did you install the lift and wheels before or after you purchased the warranty? Read up on the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act.
Yes, I installed the lift and wheels after the warranty. When I bought the truck from the Ford dealer, they set me up with this warranty company.

Originally Posted by GREEN16
Who is the 'warranty company'? Sounds like an outside warranty you're describing, not factory Ford powertrain warranty.

It is true that *most* basic modifications should not affect factory warranty coverage unless the issue can be linked to the mods in any way. I can tell you from experience Ford will look for any reason to reject a warranty claim, unfortunately.
Century Warranty Services. I read reviews on them recently, and it's nothing but B.S. They screw people daily from what I've read.

I'm going to call today and ask if they can prove that the lift and wheels caused the engine damage.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

That's what happens with outside warranty companies. Garbage!! Threaten litigation and see if they change their minds.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cal128
Yes, I installed the lift and wheels after the warranty. When I bought the truck from the Ford dealer, they set me up with this warranty company.

Century Warranty Services. I read reviews on them recently, and it's nothing but B.S. They screw people daily from what I've read.

I'm going to call today and ask if they can prove that the lift and wheels caused the engine damage.
Warranty contracts are almost always insurance policies. Typically, they are regulated by the state Dept of Insurance and must comply with insurance regulations. Generally, insurers are required to send insurers written denial letters. If they haven't given you one, demand it.

Does the contract have any dispute resolution provisions? Before you do anything, read every word of the contract and have the most OCD person you know read every word of the contract. Remember, they wrote the contract to favor themselves.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Unfortunately, I can't provide any insight. But I know warranty companies outside of Ford, and even Ford, will use any excuse they can to not pay out. Please keep us updated on what happens.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

See my mods below. Ford's Power Train warranty used twice in last 2 weeks. Not a dime out of my pocket spent.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:46 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

An Insurance adjusters job is to save the company money.

They say no and hope you just let it go. If you fight it and they think there is a chance you could possibly win they will change their tune quickly as they do not want to spend the money on attorneys which way more times than not will cost them more than paying your claim. Remember, they must prove your modifications directly contributed to and caused the failure.

Fight it, let them know if they don't cover your claim then you'll simply leave it up to your attorney's to handle it.

As mentioned above, read your contract.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

That is utter bull****. I'd call and tell them they'll be issued notice if a lawsuit soon. There's no way the lift is causing the misfire.