Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long before you can wax a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
Default How long before you can wax a new truck?

Jest wondering - got one being built - the dealer is about an hour away.

I was thinking about telling them to get someone to wax it when it comes in - just one less thing to worry about for 6 months or so.
I know they'll clean it up / inspect, but I doubt they wax new vehicles?
I do my own (time permitting) but it's a PITA to empty the truck when I drop it off at the local detailer - then I have to ride the bus home & hoof it 20 minutes to the house from the bus stop!

Was just wondering how soon a new vehicle can be waxed?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:43 AM

Received 5,993 Likes on 3,555 Posts

Immediately.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
2AF150GA (03-17-2021), Rolling Thunder (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 AM
has left the building

Received 3,384 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by basicblur
Jest wondering - got one being built - the dealer is about an hour away.

I was thinking about telling them to get someone to wax it when it comes in - just one less thing to worry about for 6 months or so.
I know they'll clean it up / inspect, but I doubt they wax new vehicles?
I do my own (time permitting) but it's a PITA to empty the truck when I drop it off at the local detailer - then I have to ride the bus home & hoof it 20 minutes to the house from the bus stop!

Was just wondering how soon a new vehicle can be waxed?
If you aren't able to do it yourself for whatever reason -you may be a candidate for hiring a detailer right away.

I don't know if the dealership has a dedicated detail shop. Chances are they will hire out the detail and add the charge to your bill, must to your amazement when you go pay for it.

If you are going to go that far -consider the cost of a quality professional to install ceramic. Extend your 6 month time line far out!
I waxed mine a year ago (2016 used). Actually it was in good shape when I took delivery as it was just detailed, but I clayed it and applied TurtleWax Hybrid solution products. I've only washed it about 4 times in the year since but the water beads probably nearly as good as a year ago. The catch though is that I have kept it garaged the whole time and with Covid it didn't back through the summer of 2020, nor did it ever see rain. I don't even know if my wiper still work! After the wash I would use the drying aid which helps with longevity of the coating.

It was quite easy, I did purchase a D/A though. But the point for you is if you have a ceramic professional applied when new you'll have a new looking paint job for quite a while and nearly maintenance free.

I think asking the dealership to wax it for you is the least good idea. I'd rather see you take cash out of your pocket and pay a detailer before you take your cash to pay the marked up rate of a dealership hiring a detailer for cheap and you paying full price for a mediocre job.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 AM

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

I waited 4 months on my 2011 Mustang I ordered. To let the paint 'cure'. I've 'read' you don't have to but I did it anyway . I will do it again on my next new vehicle.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 5,993 Likes on 3,555 Posts

You do not need to wait on a new vehicle. You DO need to do it on a body shop repair, 2 - 3 months, for the paint to cure. New vehicle has paint cured at the factory.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 504 Likes on 345 Posts

I'd take it to a detailer before I'd ask the dealer to do it. The advice about ceramic is good, too, but getting any kind of coating on it new is a great idea.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:41 PM

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Start with post #3
Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,162 Likes on 6,569 Posts

Wow, I won't even let the brush scrubbers at the dealer wash it, let alone wax it. Sure fire way to screw up your paint. Find a detailer, a good one, to do it. Any body shops around that do custom work? Ask there.
No need to wait on a new truck to wax though.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 03-17-2021 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mcr1911 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:32 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Does ceramic coating stop water spots?

Been researching pros & cons of ceramic coatings & I did like the fact that the first site I visited said it stops water spots from forming.
Of course, the second site I visited said just the opposite (does not prevent water spots).

So...which is it?

Hadn't planned on a ceramic coating, but researching a bit it seems prices around here aren't nearly as high as some of the quotes I've seen on the Corvette Forum.

Probably won't get it done as I just sank a ton of money in Griot's Garage stuff - started small, but darn if I didn't 'bout end up with the whole shebang!
Always wanted a powered unit & their 4th generation random orbital seemed to be just the ticket.

I enjoy washing / waxing, etc., but I'm a bit overloaded with other things at the moment.

BTW - when I retired (used to work at a tire factory) my 2003 Ranger had a terrible case of water spots, swirls, etc., although being white, the swirls didn't show up so bad.

On a lark I went by the body shop that does my work to see if they had anybody interested in (or capable of) removing the water spots, swirls, and that slight black tint white vehicles seem to get when you don't wash them enough.

Sho 'nuff, one of the guys in the shop dabbled with side jobs.
Dropped the Ranger off at his house - when I left they were taping it up like they were going to paint it.
Back then it only cost $150, but darn if he didn't remove everything!
Not a water spot to be found (even on the glass) - I used a flashlight looking for swirl marks and darn if he didn't get all them also.

I'm assuming being a body man he used some type of cutting compound, etc., followed by a wax job?
johnday in BFE (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 AM

Received 923 Likes on 605 Posts

If you have griots products, just use the ceramic 3-1 spray on when you get it. The dealer wash boys will wash the truck with the same brush and bucket that theyve used all day and laid on the floor 28 times that day. 3-1 ceramic spray will take you 15 min to apply. When you have time, do a full decon wash, clay, light polish, etc. I detail on the side and use a lot of griots products.
johnday in BFE (03-17-2021)

Quick Reply: How long before you can wax a new truck?