General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gas Mileage Help

I have a 2004 4x4 5.4L (not heritage) and would like to know how to improve my fuel mileage. I've all but accepted that it sucks but would like to know if you all have any tricks. I have a K&N air filter, new plugs (14,000 miles ago) and true duel pipes. I don't drive like an idiot, and I still (at best) end up with 12mpg.

I was hoping someone would have an idea (preferably cheap) on how to increase this. I also have 285/75/17 Toyo tires and offset Pacer wheels with a 2.5" leveling kit. I understand that all of this hurts mileage, but was just wondering if anyone else has found something to do to help.

Other than that the truck is great, 114,500 miles and counting. Only replaced plugs, 2 coil packs, inertia switch, and about to change both upper control arms (ball joints) just because the boots are ripped. Love the truck, never anything better.

Also, quick question, would headers help?? I was thinking about maybe getting them soon for some more rumble Thanks for your thoughts and help.

GOO FORD!!!

-Shawn
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

increased mileage and cheap are no where in the same country together.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cheap fix

About the cheapest thing you can do is keep an eye on proper tire inflation. Other than that and sensible driving, Brad is probably right; wheel alignment isn't too cheap but needs to be done if tire wear indicates misalignment.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TUNER.............

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? I do mine every other oil change, just cuz it's cheap and easy.

When you say K&N filter, do you mean K&N filter in stock housing, or a K&N cold air?????

If you have it in the stock housing, search Gotts mod..... Do that, it's cheap and helps a lil.......

But the biggest thing is a tuner....
I have a 2006 5.4 4x4 XLT flex... 60,000 miles 4.10 gears
I have Gotts mod, Edge tuner, No muffler- origininal plugs

I'm currently getting 14.9mpg (tuner calculated, I forgot to reset my tripometer when I filled last and tweaked my tuner before I did) on mixed driving.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Re

I actually just replaced my fuel filter this past weekend hoping that would help out a little. And by K&N filter I mean in stock housing. To the post before, my tires and wearing good and I do keep an eye on pressure.

J/W would new headers help or hurt at all??
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Headers help power and not really mileage. Even with $5 gas you'll take a long time and a lot of miles to pay back for mods for mileage. If you want to do mods for 1.fun and 2.maybe some mileage gain: efans, custom programmer, Gotts mod, straight through muffler. Maintenance and driving style largely dictate mileage.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Ok. I read through all posts and did not see many free fixes for better mpg. So, i thought I would post a couple. 1. tire inflation. Hey, air is free. 2. weight. Get rid of extra items. (and just for a side note. a AAA card in the wallet. Is lighter than a spare rusty tire any day.) 3. speed. Fast starts suck gas. Besides, it's a truck not a ford mustang gt500. Btw, i'm getting 16.6 mpg (according to truck monitor) in my 2010 4.6L with auto tranny. And haven't even taken my spare off yet. Oh, one thing, only take out the spare if your staying around town. For longer trips put it back in.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Pull the spare tire and use AAA?

That has got to be the most pointless MPG suggestion ever.

Would it work? To a degree......but my truck IS AAA for the family.

Screw that.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by gone postal
Pull the spare tire and use AAA?

That has got to be the most pointless MPG suggestion ever.

Would it work? To a degree......but my truck IS AAA for the family.

Screw that.
I don't think you got the point. Unless you are cheap, or careless. The spare tire is a 50 lbs item that is hauled around and hardly used. By all means, if your vehicle's tires are nail magnets, then keep the spare tire on the truck! What is it with this place? I always seem to get responses from posters who have no common sense.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

The spare tire is 50 pounds of insurance, and goes along with a jack, tow straps and tools under the heading of things my truck doesn't leave the driveway without.

No common sense?

No common sense is the fool trying to hypermile a 5600 lb truck.

Either that or you're trying to drum up business for yourself in an incredibly lame fashion https://www.f150forum.com/f3/what-do...19/#post804196

Last edited by gone postal; 03-22-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Help