Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about early on service-low mileage new truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Few questions about early on service-low mileage new truck

Hi Gang,

First, Happy New Year! I had a couple questions hoping you can help!
2018 F150 was delivered and picked up by me May 5th 2018. I love it! Decided to follow dealers recommendation on service for the first year or so.
1st oil change 5000 miles, tires checked and measured at 11/32nds.
2nd oil change 8184 miles, tires checked and measured at 12/32nds (yep, they got better :-)
3rd oil change yesterday, 11,600 miles, took advantage of a free oil card I got the day I purchased this. today, tires checked and it now says all tires 9/32nds.

Few things that bother me. I was in for a simple oil change. While waiting, I was informed my front end was out of alignment and it really needed to be aligned because both front tires showing wear on inside. I said of course, if it needs it it needs it, although I thought that very unusual at only 11,600 miles that a front end needed alignment?

I baby this truck like you wouldn't believe! Still, I can't avoid all the bumps. But isn't it odd that it needed alignment so soon?

They had me sign a Warranty claim with Ford for the front end alignment, and they said Ford covered it. What I guess bothers me is that on the checklist sheet, it says nothing about wear on the tires. If it was "noticable wear to the naked eye", (not mine but theirs) but if the wear was noticable enough forthem to suggest an alignment, shouldn't they have written that down? yet tire measurements on all 4 all say 9/32nds. Still, if the tires were worn enough to see with the naked eye, and Ford covered the alignment, shouldn't they be thinking of putting new tires on?

Also, all of a sudden all 4 tires are showing wear a lot faster....all in 3416 miles, is that normal?

I'm not looking for something for nothing, just trying to find out where I stand. Just the whole thing seems too early on for this type of thing. Something doesn't smell right and I can't explain it.

Another question. (forgot to ask dealer). When I bought it, salesman said this had an intelligent oil life monitor. My wife's Honda has that, easily accessed under the service section of her display. Her's tells the percentage ofthe oil life left yet. I can't for the life of me find this option. Also can't find it in my manual although I will look again. Went to owner.ford.com and it talks about it, but doesn't explain how to access it. So I guess I'm just wondering how to navigate my way to it? If this matters it's a F150 XLT with Sync 3.

Thank you everyone! Looking forward to your thoughts...
Old 01-01-2019, 06:28 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Not unusual for an alignment at 11K miles. If it wasn't done correctly you should be able to notice it, generally the truck will not track straight. Because Ford pays for the alignment up until 12K miles I'm guessing your dealer took advantage of that and perhaps did you a favor as well. Personally I'd be glad it was done. Me thinks you might perhaps br over thinking the tire wear (potential) issue? No, tires should not be needed yet.

The OLM is there, it's located in a different place than my '15 so can't help with that. The manual does have the information and there are a few threads here regarding this concerning the '18's specifically. Generally speaking, the olm will tell you to change it close to 10K miles unless you're working the truck harder than average.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Thanks idrive, I appreciate it! Honestly, this is a new dealer to me, and they really treated me well on the purchase, and I'm trusting them with the service, and Lord knows I haven't driven a new vehicle for awhile, I figured I better ask about the front end is all. I am glad they did it, and was impressed with how they do it, just seemed unusual that it was done so soon is all, but I figured I was wrong on that count for sure. I'm used to dealing with putting new tires on though and I've always been lead to believe once a tire starts wearing in any given spot then it's too late to keep it from wearing more. That might be just me remembering what tire salesmen have told me over the years! That doesn't bother me really, seeing that the wear is so little I sure can't notice it....

I also knew I can go a lot longer on the oil changes....when breaking the engine in though i figured a few extra changes can't hurt as I"ll have this truck a long time...but you're right, I change my wife's Honda at 5000 miles and it still says the oil life is at 70% plus....

Thanks again! I'll keep looking for the intelligent oil life monitor...
Old 01-01-2019, 06:55 PM

And just like that I found the intelligent oil life monitor...
If anyone needs to figure that also, here is what you do:

2018 Ford F150 Series Oil Life Change Required Light Reset:
Turn the ignition to the “on” position, but do not start the engine.
  1. Use the directional pad on the steering wheel and scroll through the settings area under the heading menu.
  2. Go to Settings > Advance Setting > Vehicle > Oil Life Reset.
  3. If resetting Push and hold OK until it resets to 100%
The following users liked this post:
idrive (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Few questions about early on service-low mileage new truck