Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 2007 water damage from Harvey.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 2007 water damage from Harvey.

F150 2007 water half way up radiator. Didn't come in tailgate.

Symptom: battery dead.
Action:
Disconnected battery.
Connected charger.
Connected ammeter, 10 amp draw.
No dome light when door opened.
Manual lights ok. Didn't try to start engine.
Kinda leads me to think a door switch is shorted out.

If I can't get back to this forum please
send answer to xxdrf@aol.com
Old 09-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Is it 4WD ? Need to drain the front and rear diffs.. change oil .. pull air cleaner make sue it's not wet.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 PM

2WD STX Supercab. Water didn't get near air cleaner. Call to dealer scared me, they said the body control module (under front seat) could be bad. This controls the stuff that is common to the symptoms. Probably a real nuisance, if replaced would have to be reset to recognize the keys and remote.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by theFriz
2WD STX Supercab. Water didn't get near air cleaner. Call to dealer scared me, they said the body control module (under front seat) could be bad. This controls the stuff that is common to the symptoms. Probably a real nuisance, if replaced would have to be reset to recognize the keys and remote.
First of all the 2007 does not have a body control module, the F150 didn't get those until 2011, you have a GEM that controls those functions and I seriously doubt it's under the seat, it should be under the dash likely near the passenger kick panel.

Anytime vehicles get water damage as you speak of, insurance companies automatically total them. There are so many issues that haven't arisen yet and they know it'll likely cost more than the vehicle is worth.

I feel your pain, I survived Katrina back in 05, nothing nice.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

In terms of him draining the front and rear diffs, is it always necessary? Is it because the seals aren't made to keep out water or what? I know the breather hose is pretty high on mine and I doubt it would allow water intrusion around the nipple where the hose connects. So is it basically the seal allowing in water? Kinda sucks you have to worry about water getting past the hubs a little.

Also, my condolences dude
Old 09-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

If it were my truck, it would be necessary.. any time the diffs are submerged for a prolonged time.
LariatDude (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
In terms of him draining the front and rear diffs, is it always necessary? Is it because the seals aren't made to keep out water or what? I know the breather hose is pretty high on mine and I doubt it would allow water intrusion around the nipple where the hose connects. So is it basically the seal allowing in water? Kinda sucks you have to worry about water getting past the hubs a little.

Also, my condolences dude
if the breather hose is high enough, then no, you don't need to drain it...but if water went higher than the breather hose, drain it.
LariatDude (09-02-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 PM

Default New development (good)

After 3 days drying out, I decided to try again. Insurance adjusters told me not to go near the vehicle, they would tow it away and total it.
Well, darn it, its my truck, I like it, and I don't want to buy another!
I connected the battery, dome lights worked when door closed/opened.
Turned the key. Cranked for 15 seconds and fired up. Missed badly for 30 seconds, ok maybe coil on plug bad, I can fix that. Voila! after a minute smoothed out, ran good. Put gear shifter in reverse/ drive/ etc, no prob.
Shut down, checked oil. Right color. Transmission fluid is red.
Anything else to check before I drive to detail shop to clean seats. Haven't pulled out of driveway yet.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theFriz
Insurance adjusters told me not to go near the vehicle, they would tow it away and total it.
Well, darn it, its my truck, I like it, and I don't want to buy another!
Well, you could have them total it and then buy it back. You would get a big fat check AND keep your truck. And unless the truck had a ton of mods, the insurance payout is always way more than you could ever get for it if you tried to sell it. You could have taken the money and bought a newer, nicer truck.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Your best bet is to let them have it. You really don't want the headaches that are going to crop up, I said GOING TO there is no if's and's or but's about it.

Buying it back is an option with some insurance companies but trying to get new insurance on it will be impossible as the title will be branded as totaled.