General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough is Enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enough is Enough

As you can tell from my past posts, im a worrier when it comes to my truck. Its still running crappy....from a stop or slow speed, it feels like it is bogging down, but while moving it seems okay, other than once in a while i lose all of the throttle for a couple of seconds....i tried reseting the computer and i know im doing it correctly.
What can be wrong??, cause ive been searching around, and i have ABSOLUTELY no idea.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I know from experience. Use an unlit propane torch on low and move it around the engine while it's turned on and see if the engine races up at a certain spot, you will know where the leak it. Also make sure your plug wires are on correctly that can also kinda cause that symptom.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by steckarex
As you can tell from my past posts, im a worrier when it comes to my truck. Its still running crappy....from a stop or slow speed, it feels like it is bogging down, but while moving it seems okay, other than once in a while i lose all of the throttle for a couple of seconds....i tried reseting the computer and i know im doing it correctly.
What can be wrong??, cause ive been searching around, and i have ABSOLUTELY no idea.
Thanks
does the check engine light show up? have you have you hook it up to an OBD scanner for trouble codes? what is your mechanic skill level when it comes to diagnosing? when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? too many variables to your problem. I suggest taking it to a FORD dealer. in case you might need to reflash your ecu (doubt it), they have the right tool.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Squishy Heads

What year is the truck, that might be another piece of important info.

Ditto on taking it to FORD they have a FORD scan tool and can look at EVERYTHING going on with your truck.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your emergency brake on? Happened to my neighbor, she thought her car was heading for the scrap heap but really a valet just put the e-brake on as a safety measure the night before.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys.
Its a '98 4.6L V8.
My friends gonna scan it tomorrow...but anyways, what are the chances it could be a cheap fix?!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

50%. It will either be cheap or not
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your emergency brake on? Happened to my neighbor, she thought her car was heading for the scrap heap but really a valet just put the e-brake on as a safety measure the night before.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM

No, the emergency is released ( i just checked!)
If nothing comes up on the scanner, i think i will just start with checking the spark plug wires, then changing the fuel filter...good idea?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Squishy Heads

If it's not throwing a code chances of your neighbors scanner reading anything are slim to none. Only FORD can do a thorough job of reading your trucks diagnostics when it isn't throwing a code.