General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Timing

I am doing a timing job on my 2005 F150. I am at the stage of the project were I am reinstalling the roller followers and I have run into an unexpected situation. Per the Ford shop manual, I previously had the crankshaft keyway in the 12 o'clock position, with the camshaft intake lobs for cylinder one in the 11 o'clock [color=#0f0f0f]position, when I took out the three designated roller followers from each camshaft. My next step was to move crankshaft keyway to the 6 o'clock position and remove the camshafts and remaining roller followers. My next step was to rotate the crankshaft to the 11 o'clock position, with the aid of the special tool and install the timing components. Now, as I reinstall the roller followers, I noticed that I only need to move the crankshaft from 11 o'clock to 12 o'clock for the camshaft intake lobs of cylinder one to be in the 11 o'clock position. My expectation was that I would have to rotate the crankshaft another full rotation for the right camshaft to be in this position.

Any advise for how to verify that the position of the crankshaft (or more specifically the pistons) are in the correct position relative to the camshaft?

Quick Reply: Engine Timing