General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dearborn Rouge Facility

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Dearborn Rouge Facility

Made a trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Dearborn Rouge plant yesterday. Couldn't take pics in the factory, but here's a few I got elsewhere. The living roof on the plant, the map of the complex, a Raptor on the move, and the parking lot (fords to the right, non-fords to the left of the blue line), and the 2.7 ecoboost on display.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Good to see, will be going later in the spring. Way back when I went on school field trips there. Always worth the trip.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by raisin
Good to see, will be going later in the spring. Way back when I went on school field trips there. Always worth the trip.
Yep I want to go back and do the village. It had not opened for the season yet.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice pics!

I went to the museum when I was a kid while visiting family that worked at ford credit corporate headquarters at the time. Really want to go back and see the rouge plant and take my kids through the museum.

I work in avaiation manufacturing (day job) and we have tons of suppliers who used to be in automotive supply chain to OE's and got out because it was insane. To me the aircraft industry is insane, but even with the market volitility and complex assemblies they say it is night and day better. I'd like to see the Ford line and the supply feeding it, all the robotics, and the parts shuffling to meet demand constantly. Friends in the auto industry say certain vehicle components/assemblies are literally not on the line until minutes before they are needed and everything is timed out perfectly.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by FX4life
Nice pics!

I went to the museum when I was a kid while visiting family that worked at ford credit corporate headquarters at the time. Really want to go back and see the rouge plant and take my kids through the museum.

I work in avaiation manufacturing (day job) and we have tons of suppliers who used to be in automotive supply chain to OE's and got out because it was insane. To me the aircraft industry is insane, but even with the market volitility and complex assemblies they say it is night and day better. I'd like to see the Ford line and the supply feeding it, all the robotics, and the parts shuffling to meet demand constantly. Friends in the auto industry say certain vehicle components/assemblies are literally not on the line until minutes before they are needed and everything is timed out perfectly.
You're exactly right...it's timed to a T. The line is totally random, so all colors and all models are mixed in. Somehow, the right doors and bed arrive at the right time to meet the right cab. It's pretty amazing.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Nice pics!

Yep, I'm in the auto. industry. I design conveyor systems for the plants. It is fun yet stressful when 1 hour of downtime can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. And everything is constantly changing. With a line being able to carry 5 or 6 different models, each with their own refresh/redesign schedule. Every year a model is changing so equipment changes to accept it. Not to mention the constant need to build them faster.

I do get to see the new vehicles though. For the last year I've been working on 2018, 2019, and 2021 model year SUVs. I was even able to provide input to the vehicle design teams. Then saw my suggestions in the next data revision. Really cool stuff.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That sounds like an awesome gig sixshooter! I'd love to see what's in the pipeline long before everyone else.

I bet bet it's pretty cool if y'all are getting to look at the bronco stuff already.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

That sounds like an awesome gig sixshooter! I'd love to see what's in the pipeline long before everyone else.

I bet bet it's pretty cool if y'all are getting to look at the bronco stuff already.
It is some pretty cool stuff.

No luck with the bronco or the trucks. We have done some work with the Flat Rock plant with Mustangs and Fusions though.