General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashcam mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 279 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Dashcam mounting

I'm considering a dashcam sometime in the future.
My question is are most owners doing ok with the stick on mounting? Im in the north east, so not too long of hot spells but hot enough at times. My truck is always out in the sun and I do use a sun shade which may or may not add heat to that area.
I see brackets for hanging from the mirror post, but I wonder if the camera will move as different drivers adjust the mirror.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:53 PM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

My dashcam slides onto its mount which is attached to the windshield with adhesive. Has held up to North Carolina heat for over 5 years now.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 2,512 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Same as D-H here. No issue with the adhesive mount that my camera slides into either.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:01 PM
TPMS Magician

Received 6,507 Likes on 3,001 Posts

I used 3m double sided tape on my last truck and gorilla tape on this…both of them survived the heat
Old 06-01-2023, 09:06 PM

Received 640 Likes on 334 Posts

Yeah a good quality adhesive should be fine. I've had mine attached with 3M for a couple of years now without issue. I even have mine adhered to the dimpled area as I didnt want to have any issues with the adhesive being put onto the tint I have on my windshield.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:03 PM
Caffeine Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbie 5
I'm considering a dashcam sometime in the future.
My question is are most owners doing ok with the stick on mounting? Im in the north east, so not too long of hot spells but hot enough at times. My truck is always out in the sun and I do use a sun shade which may or may not add heat to that area.
I see brackets for hanging from the mirror post, but I wonder if the camera will move as different drivers adjust the mirror.
Any thoughts?
I have installed a few dashcams, and have used a few different mounting solutions. Do you know which camera you're planning on getting? That will potentially limit your mounting options.

For any of the adhesive ones, you can use a trick, to keep from having to put the adhesive directly on the glass, or tint, if you have your windshield done. Get some clear static film, off amazon, I can post a link if you'd like. Measure out the size and shape of the adhesive on the mount, and then add 1/8th inch all around. Apply there to your windshield, where you want the mount to go, and make sure to use something (even your finger would work) to get out all of the air bubbles. Then, just apply the adhesive mount to the static film, and you're good to go. This has held up for 6+ years in Texas heat, though I do garage park my vehicles.

As far as mirror mounts go, I'm running a blendmount in my sports car, and it clamps to the stalk, so won't move with mirror adjustments. The blendmount is nice as it allows me to tuck the camera up behind the mirror, out of my site, but without the ugly adhesive on the windshield, which I only care about do to it being something I take to meets and shows.

Last edited by Meowfasa; 06-01-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:10 PM

Received 885 Likes on 673 Posts

You're overthinking it. It will be fine.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:16 PM
Traveler

Received 271 Likes on 163 Posts

Drove a car with on glass mounted with adhesive radar antenna head for years, it never hid out of the sun, no issues. Heavier than a little camera.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:32 PM

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Meowfasa
For any of the adhesive ones, you can use a trick, to keep from having to put the adhesive directly on the glass, or tint, if you have your windshield done. Get some clear static film, off amazon, I can post a link if you'd like. Measure out the size and shape of the adhesive on the mount, and then add 1/8th inch all around. Apply there to your windshield, where you want the mount to go, and make sure to use something (even your finger would work) to get out all of the air bubbles. Then, just apply the adhesive mount to the static film, and you're good to go. This has held up for 6+ years in Texas heat, though I do garage park my vehicles.
While I have never had one of the adhesive mounts come off in the heat attached directly to the glass my VIOFO came with the film and I did had it come off after sitting in the sun all day. It was a hot day and the camera was between the glass and a sun shade so I'm sure it got extremely hot but it did come off. I reattached it with just the adhesive mount directly to the glass and its been good since.

I also like to try and mount mine behind the mirror on the passenger side so I don't see it.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The important thing with attaching to glass is to ensure the glass is clean. No film or residue left behind before attaching the adhesive. 90% isopropyl alcohol works well.
The following users liked this post:
FI300 (06-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Dashcam mounting